Did you mean:Ā 

Original topic:

Face-based Auto-rotate

(Topic created: 11-11-2021 11:31 PM)
FrostTaco
Star
Options
Suggestions
It'd be really useful to have auto screen rotation be based on how the camera sees your face, so that it'd be possible to do something like laying on your side with your phone without it improperly rotating.

This scenario is the one reason I don't keep auto rotation on(and I presume many other people are the same), and considering Pixels can do this now, I don't see a reason not to implement it.
13 Replies
Focr06
Comet
Options
Suggestions
We had this before. It started with the galaxy S3... And it went missing after galaxy s6. Since the S9, I feel like we have been losing things.. And then when Samsung drops them... Apple picks them up and they say, we are the only ones doing it.. Why? Cuz Samsung gave up on it... But Samsung is worse at dropping features than Google does!
Focr06
Comet
Options
Suggestions
We still have it but it doesn't work! It hasn't worked since the s10! Screenshot_20211106-182316_Settings.png
0 Likes
FrostTaco
Star
Options
Suggestions
It's not shown in your picture?
Focr06
Comet
Options
Suggestions
Different name, keep screen on while viewing
0 Likes
FrostTaco
Star
Options
Suggestions
That's not what it's supposed to be though. That just keeps the screen on when you're looking at it, it's not anything related to rotation.
0 Likes
user751201tmO21
Honored Contributor
Options
Suggestions
Believe it or not:

This is a new feature for Android 12 !!

To quote a recent article:

"The feature relies on your phone's front-facing camera to watch which way your lopsided head is tilted at any given moment and then make sure your screen matches that orientation "

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3609897/android-12-features-any-phone.amp.html

5 Android 12 features you can bring to any phone today

There is an app you could use for now:
Rotation Orientation Manager
0 Likes
Focr06
Comet
Options
Suggestions
Yup, this how smart stay was... A little eye icon would show up on top.. Letting you know, is tracking your face.. Smdh enable-smart-stay-on-s7-how-it-works_71948.jpg
0 Likes
FrostTaco
Star
Options
Suggestions
Exactly why I'm suggesting it, if it's part of Android 12 I'm not sure why it wouldn't be in the beta yet if they're planning to implement it. I hadn't heard it was Google exclusive. Will check out the app you sent, but I still hope it makes its way to Samsung phones.
0 Likes
user751201tmO21
Honored Contributor
Options
Suggestions
Because Samsung decides what to bring over ...