2016 4K TV - Ads appear on HUB bar

Constellation

Re: 2016 4K TV - Ads appear on HUB bar

[ Edited ]

The ads are now going really crazy. Just about all the "undeletable" apps are advertising on the Smart Hub bar currently.

The ONLY ways to stop this are to block traffic from these apps via the router OR disconnect your TV from the internet entirely and stream to the TV from your PC/MAC or roku type device.

I am building a package of videos, phone calls, and other evidence to send to my state representatives, congressmen and attorney general about Samsung's current behavior. In my state they don't take too kindly to people being abused like this and I can near guarantee that some kind of action will be taken.

Constellation

Thanks for the info. Much less work to block these addresses in my router than to return the TV.
Astronaut

Re: HOW TO REMOVE ADS - Re: 2016 4K TV - Ads appear on HUB bar

I removed every icon on the SmartHub except the two that let me change to whatever input I wanted.  No more ads in a while. Samsung should be ashamed of itself as if it has no control over this.  Who puts ads in a **bleep** menu on a TV.   I will be selecting a new set when I upgrade my TV. 

Astronaut

| Sadly there is not, most of these ads come from the applications themselves. Due to this we cannot remove them. I know it's frustrating, I am very sorry for the inconvenience. 

Wow, this reply is absolute garbage. Samsung makes & controls the operating system, which means they can control if ads appear or not. I paid ~$1500 for this tv - I should be able to turn off this feature if I want to.

Highlighted
Astronaut

| I am not sure to be honest, we are unable to speculate on the release future updates or features. Though there is always the possibility of this happening. 

This reply is garbage. Yes, Samsung can tell you what they're planning in future releases. This should be one of them - we're good paying customers and this should be an option.

Astronaut

[ Edited ]

NO....What you say is not true. 

Ads are coming from apps that are not installed on the TV’s OS at all..

Furthermore, what comes on TV is something that samsung can control as it has the total control of the OS it owns and is implementing to its TV. 

Astronaut

[ Edited ]

I'm looking at buying a 75-82" 4K TV this black friday and I decided to stay away from Samsung TV just because of the ads. Maybe they make more money from displaying ads than from selling TVs

Astronaut

[ Edited ]

Count me as a someone who also hates this and will not consider a Samsung TV again if the ad issue is not changed.

I even have the feeling that after the latest firmware update last week I am getting more sponsered ads. That is how they are listening. By the way, another issue that Samsung has control over is to not support Flash. While I am not a big fan of Flash, CBS access requires it. So for me to watch Star Trek Discovery I have to stream it to my TV rather than just using the built in brower. Because they likely do not have a contract with CBS it is not even offered as an app. Really sucks. My next TV will have both, no ads and CBS access.

Constellation

Same here. I use my 55" Samsung as a computer monitor and not a television, but I am in the market for a new television for my living room, and it WILL NOT BE A SAMSUNG!

Constellation

[ Edited ]

I have had my Samsung TV for just long enough now that I am outside of the returns window and these ridiculous ads have begun to show on the hub bar, contiplating selling it and going with another manufacturer that respects the ability of the end user to block/opt-out of these practices on a device that was over 1k. This will be the last Samsung Television I will buy, possibly the last Samsung product. I was just about to purchase some new Samsung appliances for my kitchen. I will now be looking at for other options. All I need is for my stove or fridge to start advertising to me also.

Update: I tried the solution by @PeterYates from a few pages back and so far the ads that were there constantly are not showing. I only pointed the television to the OpenDNS account with the blocked websites, I did not add the DNS to my entire network so the rest of the devices on the network run as always. Sad we have to go through these extra steps to make expensive purchases work as they should.