JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

ARC not working via Anynet, but Optical audio has issue too?

(Topic created: 09-15-2018 05:09 PM)
WhyBuy
Asteroid
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Using a hu6950 55 inch "Smart" TV, the setup is STB to Marantz receiver to TV. HDMI 4 is used for ouput via receiver with ARC turned on both TV and receiver. 

Tried to play video from apps (Netflix or Amazon video) and like many others posted on the net, The Anynet + CEC through ARC (HDMI4) could not have consistent handshake between receiver and TV. Gave up the ARC idea and hoping to get discrete channel audio via Optical audio, this does not work either.

Tried out many options, set audio to PCM, turned off Instant power on, TV factory reset, smart hub reset, audio reset, different HDMI ports, different HDMI cables, powering up sequence, manual switch to Audio out... etc. Not only is Anynet not working, I could not get Optical audio to turn on either (no light through the cable). Video quality is great, if only I enjoy silent videos.  The only available sound option is through TV speakers or through analog RCA output.

Tested out the Optical cable directly from STB to receiver and it is working fine. Is there a way to force this smart TV to be dumber so it could turn on optical audio output always?

Had a LG TV prior and never seemed to have issue this frustrating...

59 Replies
SamsungJam
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

We're glad that you found a resolution.  

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

0 Likes
userGVtC1ezObO
Astronaut
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

I had this issue and i phoned in to customer service and they did and factory reset and reset the port remotely

0 Likes
userlDdpLANVBY
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

I have a Samsung 40" MU6290 with a Sony HT-RT5 Sound Bar. The ARC worked for a day and now it won't recognize it as a device. I can use the tos link connection but the whole point in having an HDMI audio solution was to be able to use 5.1 LPCM and Dolby True HD/DTS Master Audio. I've tried a factory reset, I've tried unplugging all devices from the AC power for hours at a time, I've changed cables and every other method mentioned on here. My TV is advertised as having an "ARC on hdmi port 3" if this is a known issue with no attempt at a fix by Samsung it's grounds for a class action lawsuit given the thousands of others who have had the exact same issue. Any ideas Samsung?????

0 Likes
usersPiHPXr90x
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

The only fast solution is either buying an optical and turning off ARC from your home theatre or unplugging bith of the tv and the home theatre then plugging them again and it will be solved

0 Likes
pykisly
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

use 4k HDMI cable

0 Likes
robert4
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

I just bought a QN55Q6FAM recent model QLED Samsung TV and I'm considering going through the hassel of returning it.   I've had so many problems with ARC and HDMI CEC.

1. AppleTV - I have my AppleTV 4K output plugged directly into the TV.    Most of the time when I power up the AppleTV, the televsion INSISTS on scanning for a TV tuner.  I get a bunch of snow followed by a message saying the TV couldn't find a channel and would I like to switch sources?     I have to pull out the Samsung remote, open SmartHub and switch it over to the AppleTV.  Really?   This is 2018!   My 2011 Sony Bravia tv which this replaced was smart enough to scan the HDMI port for a signal.  There is no way to turn off the TV tuner.

2. ARC Stereo Tuner Connection - I have a Sony HT-XT1 receiver which support ARC.  I have the TV connected via the ARC connection to the receiver.   I don't know what's going on, but the TV establishes some connection because I can change the volume and mute the receiver, but NO sound.   I've unplugged, reconnected the receiver.  It worked twice in the process.

This is embarrising for Samsung.  The picture quality is great, but as a TV the usability s-u-c-k-s.    For paying such a premium I would expect smoother operation.   DON'T EVEN GET ME STARTED ON THE ADVERTISING (S-P-A-M) WITHIN SMART HUB!

This has been a very frustrating new TV experience.  I will never buy another Samsung.

Robert

robert4
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

A quick update on this.  After contacting Samsung support again, they showed me how to reboot the television.  Basically hold down the power button on the remote until the samsun logo appears.

The reboot and then restarting my Sony receiving fixes the sound issue. 

At least there is a work around.  The thought of spending the next few years having to reboot the television every time I use the television makes me cringe.

Please Samsung, issue a software patch to fix this issue.  Cheers, Robert

0 Likes
userfjaBN3IzLm
Asteroid
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

guys..

i've been reading up on this for over a year now, never got it to work.. 

the mother of all fixes.

on the samsung TV, set your TV audio source to TV SPEAKERS (yes yes, Tv speakers)

turn on CEC-anynet+.. 

no need for anything to handshake it will just work.. no need to "search for devices" as it won't find anything to pair with.. just plug your HDMI in ARC and your good..

(assuming your reciever is setup properly of course).

happy ARC-ing

Benkc
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

I also have been frustrated for quite some time. 

But here is the definitive Resolution to use ARC as intended:

1. Unplug all devices that one wants to use with ARC (eg F900o SmarTV, Sony AVR) for at least 15’ to clear caps.

2. Disconnect all HDMI cables from SmarTV (eg SEK3500)

3. replug TV & AVR BUT DON’t turn on

4. Connect cable from ARC out from AVR to HDMI ARC port (eg HDMI4)

5. Turn on equipment — ALL ARC  processes will work.

In my case, connecting the remaining 3 HDMI IN cables to SEK3500 will DEFEAT ARC. Specifically and repetitively, Plugging in HDMI3 cancels ARC, removal  allows ARC to work again.

The above suggests that the SmarTV HDMI electronics — hardware competition that should be fixed. I don’t believe a firmware upgrade fixes this, but Samsung can confirm.

0 Likes
user2Ne1lB6khi
Asteroid
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Hey guys, 

I learnt a few things today from the Samsung tech support which were trying to fix my HDMI ARC dissapearing issues.

What they essentially did was login to the tv remotely and do a factory reset and also did a reset on the soundbar by pressing + and - . This fixed the issue

I have the UA55MU6100 tv which has the smart remote (no numbers on it) therefore I can't get into the menu my self without having one of the old school remotes . i.e.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=samsung+remote&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBAU796AU796&source=lnms&tbm=isch&s...:

If you decide to purchase this remote to access the service menu here are the instructions (8 methods please try each one till it works)

First power off your TV using the remote, then press following buttons quickly on the remote:

Info + Settings + Mute + Power
Mute + 1 + 8 + 2 + Power
Mute + 1 + 1 + 9 + Power
Display/Info + Menu + Mute + Power
Display/Info + P.STD + Mute + Power
P.STD + Help + Sleep + Power
P.STD + Menu + Sleep + Power
Sleep + P.STD + Mute + Power

If you dont want to purchase the remote then this can also be accessed by using a mobile with infrared (i.e. Samsung galaxy S5)

Once your in the menu disconnect all HDMI cables from the TV and then click Option, Factory Reset. 

Once the TV is reset and you've entered in your wifi passwords and samsung account, proceed to resetting the soundbar ( + and - volume keys)

Then proceed to connect all HDMI cables in and hopefully this should fix it. 

The reason why HDMI arc issues exist is because doing a soft reset doesnt actually clear the RAM or error logs in the tv and may scramble some part of a code when upgrading the firmware. So it's pointless doing a reset by the normal tv menu. It's needs to be Hard reset by the Service Menu. 

Make sure you don't touch any other options in the service menu as it may cause more issues. 

I hope i've helped out at least a few people.