Can Echo skill control TV

SOLVED
Highlighted
Asteroid

Can Echo skill control TV

I just bought the Echo and want to have it turn my Samsung 55" 4k TV. Has anyone been able to do that?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Regular Contributor (Elite)
Solution
Accepted by topic author jlm072085
‎07-15-2017 08:39 AM

Re: Can Echo skill control TV

I dont think Alexa is quite there yet. 

I have a pretty neat Smart home set up. I got into it about 2 years ago. I did my research about which products that I thought would best suit me. I built my collection over a year or so. I have an Echo (with Alexa), i have a philips hue bridge, a huego and hue bulbs. I also have some GE link bulbs and to make it all work together I have a Wink Hub. Wink is great because it helps control all those smart devices on the same app and device. Wink uses "mesh net technology." I really want their Hub 2.0 that plugs into your internet via Ethernet or you can use the Hub 2.0 wirelessly. I have the original Wink Hub and it has to be used via Wi-Fi. 

You probably need something that could help the echo/Alexa control the TV. 

I have not checked IFTTT yet for how to control my Samsung 55" curve. IFTTT has a lot if great "recipes" for Alexa. 

I'll look into this a little more because i haven't in several months and there might be something new out there. 

✨KLHN1986 REGULAR CONTRIBUTOR (ELITE)✨
☆ If you like my answers, I would love stars☆

The rank of contributor is a rank assigned
to community members that have been recognized for
sharing high quality answers and material to the Samsung+ Community.
Contributors do not formally represent Samsung
30 REPLIES
Solution
Accepted by topic author jlm072085
‎07-15-2017 08:39 AM

I have a pretty neat Smart home set up. I got into it about 2 years ago. I did my research about which products that I thought would best suit me. I built my collection over a year or so. I have an Echo (with Alexa), i have a philips hue bridge, a huego and hue bulbs. I also have some GE link bulbs and to make it all work together I have a Wink Hub. Wink is great because it helps control all those smart devices on the same app and device. Wink uses "mesh net technology." I really want their Hub 2.0 that plugs into your internet via Ethernet or you can use the Hub 2.0 wirelessly. I have the original Wink Hub and it has to be used via Wi-Fi. 

I have not checked IFTTT yet for how to control my Samsung 55" curve. IFTTT has a lot if great "recipes" for Alexa. 

I'll look into this a little more because i haven't in several months and there might be something new out there. 

Asteroid

KLHN1986 wrote:

Thanks for the info. I am new to all this smart stuff. I did find an Echo skill called Smart Remote that requires you to download the Smart Remote app and then connects with Echo. That app jus lists the Samsung TV by series so I have to look up what series my rv would be.

How do I get to IFTTT?

Thanks

IFTTT.com

Hahaha

Btw... down load trackr to your phone and enable it to Alexa... "Alexa, asktracker to find my phone."

You're welcome in advance Smiley Wink

Astronaut

I just got my Samsung 70-inch TV working by setting up the Samsung SmartThings skill. I can now turn on/off via Alexa without harmony remote or IFTTT. 

Asteroid

Hey. I have been trying to get that to work for over a month now. I have my TV wirelessly connected to the same network as Alexa and my smarthings. Alexa can recognize the TV as a device. But Alexa cannot turn the the TV on at all. Once the TV is on then Alexa can turn it off with the phrase, "Turn off the family television"

How do you have your TV connected to your network.

Samsung support tells me that my TV is turning off and not staying in standby which is why the TV can't be turned on.

Any tips or help would be appreciated.

Astronaut

I added the Samsung connect skill via the Alexa app and can control my sumsung television mu6400 with Alexa. 

The TV shows on my list of devices and responds to commands.

Admittedly it only allows the TV to be turned off... although it does say it can turn on the TV as well, but this doesn't work. It might be something that I have done to prevent it from working.

None of the other TV functions, i.e. volume up etc seem to be supported. Maybe you need a smart things hub to get all that working too....?

Astronaut

Try turning off power savings mode so it “sleeps” instead of going off.

Asteroid

Those functions work for me so turning on is now the only thing that does not work

Asteroid

All the Eco options on the TV are currently off so the TV should go to sleep instead of off