Connected to wireless network but not the Internet - UN50KU6300FXZA

SOLVED
Asteroid

Connected to wireless network but not the Internet - UN50KU6300FXZA

[ Edited ]

I keep getting this error, I'll be watching netflix or Hulu and all of a sudden I'll lose Internet connection. My router is literally 3 feet from the TV, and my phone (samsung Galaxy s7 edge) and pc never lose connection,  the issue is only with the TV.

It's a random occurrence, can't reproduce it. Sometimes it happens 2 times in a session, or I could go a week or 2 without an issue. 

Many firmware updates, to my knowledge I've had this issue since I bought the TV in December. 

Current firmware version is 1165

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cosmic Ray
Solution
Accepted by SamsungCole (Samsung Moderator)
‎06-01-2017 02:35 PM

**SOLUTION** Connected to wireless network but not the Internet - UN50KU6300FXZA

I posted this solution in a similar forum here. Reposting.

**SOLUTION** UN40KU6300 netflix stuck, remote won't work **SOLUTION**[ Edited ]

The Solution to "...netflix, youtube, browser hung, ....remote doesn't seem to work"

This is NQ5P with the solution after almost 2 weeks of testing. Zero Issues.

Below includes technical details for (hopefully) Samsung developer's benefit.

Simple

The symptom is that after entering an application like Netflix, YouTube, WEB, amazon video, HBO, etc, no keys on the remote work, except for the home button. If you go to Home -->Settings-->Network-->Network Status, it says you are connected to your wireless network (WIFI) but not to the Internet. Unplugging the power for a minute and plugging it back in fixes the problem for a day or so.

Technical

I have version 1167 Op System on my new Samsung 4K TV model UN60KU630DFXZA, and I periodically lose my internet connectivity but NOT my wireless connectivity. My IP Setting and DNS Setting are set to automatic, and my DNS and gateway are set to my WIFI routers address (in my case 192.168.0.1.). I think the router sends a TCP/IP redirect to the TV with the correct DNS IP address or forwards the NSLookup request on to the ISP's DNS. The response from the DNS server is then sent back to the TV. If I had a sniffer I could tell you exactly where the TV is failing in its software.

Solution for Users

Step 1 - determine your Internet Service Provider's (ISP)  DNS server IP address. There will typically be two such addresses, primary and secondary, but your Samsung TV can only use 1 that is IP4. (IP6 is a newer version of TCP/IP protocol but our Samsung TVs don't use it).  On my PC, I opened a browser to Google and searched for "Comcast DNS server IP address" because Comcast/Xfinity is my ISP. Replace "Comcast" with your ISP like COX, CenturyLink, HughesNet. A Comcast link said my primary IPv4 address was 75.75.75.75, so that is the address that I used in later steps. Here is a typical result from a Google search:

Comcast Domain Name System (DNS) servers:

• Primary IPv4:  75.75.75.75

• Secondary IPv4:  75.75.76.76

• Primary IPv6:  2001:558:FEED::1

• Secondary IPv6:  2001:558:FEED::2

Step 2: Using your remote, go to Home-->Setting-->Network-->Network Status. After the TV completes its test, go to IP Settings (2 positions left of Close). Don't change the "IP setting" of automatic. rather cursor down to "DNS setting" and change it to "Enter manually" and then cursor down to "DNS Server" and select it. In each of the 4 fields enter your ISP's DNS IP address the same as we noted in Step 1. This may take some time to learn how to go to the top to select numbers and done, and move from field to field.

Step 3: When you save the DNS Server's IP address manually, the TV will then test the Network Status again and you should have Internet Connectivity.

If you have trouble, try to find a neighbor or computer person to help you.

PLEASE POST THAT THIS SOLUTION (from NQ5P) FIXED YOUR problem assuming that it did. Samsung will no doubt be watching for responses.

Samsung Technical Support - Please let me know when you have fixed the issue with losing the DNS server IP address and in what release.  I'm sure many like me will want to know it, because from time to time an ISP may change its DNS IP Server addresses. The automatic DNS setting is far preferable after you fix the issue.
94 REPLIES
Samsung Moderator

Re: Connected to wireless network but not the Internet - UN50KU6300FXZA

1167.0 was released on 2/28.  Try updating it and let us know if the issue continues.  

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Asteroid

I just tried to update through settings, it says there is no update available. 

Samsung Moderator

It may not have been released over the air yet BUT if you have a thumb drive handy it can be downloaded from Samsung.com

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Asteroid

Updated to version 1167 6 hours ago via USB. Watched a few episodes of supernatural on Netflix and it happened again. Same error when I go to look at network.  My phone and computer are still connected to the router with no loss of connection. 

The only way I can fix it is to disconnect from network and do the whole login process over again. (Wired or wireless, select network, enter password) 

Samsung Moderator

Have you tried a smart hub reset or country code reset yet?

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Asteroid

[ Edited ]

I have tried smart hub resetting in the past to fix the YouTube logging out issue,  which never worked because it was a firmware issue. I've never heard of a country code reset. I'd rather not reset the smart hub again because of how long it takes me to reset all my settings.

At the moment I've changed the d.n.s. from 8.8.4.4 to 8.8.8.8 following some advice I found from a forum a year ago that they said resolved their issue. 

Samsung Moderator

The country code reset would reset the entire smart hub as well, but in some cases it tends to correct app issues and connection issues. After you changed the DNS settings, has the issue happened again?

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Asteroid

I haven't had the issue happen again yet.  But like I said the issue is random and could happen in a day or a week.  Plus we had a storm here last night and the power went out.  For some reason I had to manually reconnect tv to the wireless network, entering password, but my phone connected automatically to the router like normal. 

I'll update this if the main issue happens again after changing the DNS, 

Asteroid

[ Edited ]

Double post.