Connected to wireless network but not the Internet - UN50KU6300FXZA

SOLVED
Constellation

Re: **SOLUTION** Connected to wireless network but not the Internet - UN50KU6300FXZA

for the TV's DNS address: 209.244.0.3

Constellation

Re: **SOLUTION** Connected to wireless network but not the Internet - UN50KU6300FXZA

It's fixed itself. As I said above, it looks like a problem with some web site used by TV to check a connection  to Internet.  

Astronaut

It is odd the lack of response from a moderator.

The changing of the DNS server to something else, such as Google DNS (8.8.8.8), Open DNS (208.67.222.222), CloudFlare (1.1.1.1) or any other DNS is not a solution.

If you are at a location (Home, Office, etc) and you have a Wi-Fi connection from your Wi-Fi Router or access point and you can successfully access the Internet on your Phone, Tablet, Laptop, Chromebook, or other device, then changing the Samsung SmartTV DNS is not going to resolve the issue.

It seems that there must be a service or site running in the background that the TV uses to connect to and test / confirm that you have Internet access. If this site/service is down, then the TV reports it is not connected to the Internet. 

This does not mean that you are having problems are your end (hence the confirmation that at your location you are able to access the Internet via another device), it means that the site/service that the TC/SmartHub uses to test Internet connectivity is down (or it could be blocked by your router or ISP, but that is another sotry and if it worked 1, 2 or 3 days ago this is likely NOT the issue).

I would like to see a moderator or someone in the know, please explain how the TV/SmartHub confirms INternet connectivity.

Cosmic Ray

I beg to differ with your statement, “changing DNS is not a solution”. It was the work around solution to my problem and my Samsung TV has worked reliably for Internet TV, Netflix, and YouTube for the last several years.

As I stated before I believe a problem lies with the Samsung TV, possibly in its software for assigning and expiring DNS server addresses (possibly IP redirects from a router for the DNS service). By assigning a fixed DNS address there is no expiration or redirects.

This said, people have many different problems such as:

1. Weak WiFi signal

2. Limited bandwidth from their Internet Service Provider ( including dropping packets by the ISP to limit bandwidth)

3. WIFi channel conflicts with neighbors WiFi channel.

4. IP address conflicts with other devices such as tables, phone, etc. ( When a lease expires or router is rebooted an IP address can be reassigned). I constrain my router IP address assignment range and set my TV and printers to a fixed address above the range but within the routed subnet.

5. The ISP is down.

6. See the DNS failure above.

And in my previous postings I have suggested ways to test and mitigate these problems.

You may be right that Samsung checks internet connectivity by testing connection to some Samsung and/or other servers, and when those services are down the Samsung TV reports the internet is unreachable. I would hope such software checks multiple services for a reliable diagnosis and does not rely on DNS alone in somdoing. However, I don’t think my TV checks a server because I have never seen a loss of Internet connectivity occur on my TV that wasn’t due to a configuration error or one of the 6 problems above.

I am not affiliated with Samsung or any ISP.

Good luck with your problem! Let us know if you solve it and how.

Astronaut

You are awesome!!