Connected to wireless network but not the Internet - UN50KU6300FXZA

SOLVED

Re: Connected to wireless network but not the Internet - UN50KU6300FXZA

samsungjam wrote:

Yay!

Yay! for what? There is a problem with this TV being able to freely use DNS's. Google has said that they are going to restrict this type of and mass usage of these DNS's. What will we do then? The DNS's that I use regularly with my ISP works with great success. Don't understand why this TV can't?

NQ5P wrote:

Farmer Bob,

After I conclude my testing, I will post instructions on how to setup your DNS as I did. Stay tuned for 4 more days.

Am looking forward to what you discover . . .

Good Luck.

Constellation

I have a UN55ES8000 and have had this issue for a year now. It will some times function well for weeks at a time, some times only hours. I have come to believe this is caused by a bad netwoek adapter card. Currently trying to get an estimate on a possple repair.

Cosmic Ray
Solution
Accepted by SamsungCole (Samsung Moderator)
‎06-01-2017 02:35 PM

**SOLUTION** Connected to wireless network but not the Internet - UN50KU6300FXZA

I posted this solution in a similar forum here. Reposting.

**SOLUTION** UN40KU6300 netflix stuck, remote won't work **SOLUTION**[ Edited ]

The Solution to "...netflix, youtube, browser hung, ....remote doesn't seem to work"

This is NQ5P with the solution after almost 2 weeks of testing. Zero Issues.

Below includes technical details for (hopefully) Samsung developer's benefit.

Simple

The symptom is that after entering an application like Netflix, YouTube, WEB, amazon video, HBO, etc, no keys on the remote work, except for the home button. If you go to Home -->Settings-->Network-->Network Status, it says you are connected to your wireless network (WIFI) but not to the Internet. Unplugging the power for a minute and plugging it back in fixes the problem for a day or so.

Technical

I have version 1167 Op System on my new Samsung 4K TV model UN60KU630DFXZA, and I periodically lose my internet connectivity but NOT my wireless connectivity. My IP Setting and DNS Setting are set to automatic, and my DNS and gateway are set to my WIFI routers address (in my case 192.168.0.1.). I think the router sends a TCP/IP redirect to the TV with the correct DNS IP address or forwards the NSLookup request on to the ISP's DNS. The response from the DNS server is then sent back to the TV. If I had a sniffer I could tell you exactly where the TV is failing in its software.

Solution for Users

Step 1 - determine your Internet Service Provider's (ISP)  DNS server IP address. There will typically be two such addresses, primary and secondary, but your Samsung TV can only use 1 that is IP4. (IP6 is a newer version of TCP/IP protocol but our Samsung TVs don't use it).  On my PC, I opened a browser to Google and searched for "Comcast DNS server IP address" because Comcast/Xfinity is my ISP. Replace "Comcast" with your ISP like COX, CenturyLink, HughesNet. A Comcast link said my primary IPv4 address was 75.75.75.75, so that is the address that I used in later steps. Here is a typical result from a Google search:

Comcast Domain Name System (DNS) servers:

• Primary IPv4:  75.75.75.75

• Secondary IPv4:  75.75.76.76

• Primary IPv6:  2001:558:FEED::1

• Secondary IPv6:  2001:558:FEED::2

Step 2: Using your remote, go to Home-->Setting-->Network-->Network Status. After the TV completes its test, go to IP Settings (2 positions left of Close). Don't change the "IP setting" of automatic. rather cursor down to "DNS setting" and change it to "Enter manually" and then cursor down to "DNS Server" and select it. In each of the 4 fields enter your ISP's DNS IP address the same as we noted in Step 1. This may take some time to learn how to go to the top to select numbers and done, and move from field to field.

Step 3: When you save the DNS Server's IP address manually, the TV will then test the Network Status again and you should have Internet Connectivity.

If you have trouble, try to find a neighbor or computer person to help you.

PLEASE POST THAT THIS SOLUTION (from NQ5P) FIXED YOUR problem assuming that it did. Samsung will no doubt be watching for responses.

Samsung Technical Support - Please let me know when you have fixed the issue with losing the DNS server IP address and in what release.  I'm sure many like me will want to know it, because from time to time an ISP may change its DNS IP Server addresses. The automatic DNS setting is far preferable after you fix the issue.
Constellation

Re: **SOLUTION** Connected to wireless network but not the Internet - UN50KU6300FXZA

okay so I just did this, fingers crossed!

comcast is my isp so i entered 75.75.75.75

if it poops out I'm just going to buy one of those cheap ethernet wall adapter things and hope for a major firmware update.  i'm glad the problem doesn't seem to be damage to my tv (??)

Cosmic Ray

Re: **SOLUTION** Connected to wireless network but not the Internet - UN50KU6300FXZA

And, how is it working? Did the pictures help?

i saw an update made on my tv, but I haven't heard if Samsung fixed this problem, so I'm not changing my tv. It's still working great since I made the above config changes.

Samsung Moderator

Haven't vocalized it yet, but thank you for sharing this information NQ5P. I went ahead and marked this response as the Accepted Solution so that it's easy for others to find. If more information needs to be added later on we can always edit the response or accept a new solution if one becomes available. 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Constellation

i think i have the latest firmware and it still works

however, i have another hurdle which is probably unrelated, but playing files from samsung smart view software on my laptop drops connection

internet works great though!!  i don't see how other people are continuing to use their smart tvs without knowing about this solution?????????????

Cosmic Ray

Yes, I don't think the dropped connection is related.

I do suggest you move your Wireless Access Point to an unused channel. Other WAPs on the same or near channel act like background noise and cause a connection to drop. There is a great app for android phones that you can use to survey the area. I think it's called WIFI.

good luck!

Constellation

Good idea, I'll let you know if it works..I think years ago I played around with WAP channels

yeah I think you mean wifi analyzer, looks useful