Connected to wireless network but not the Internet - UN50KU6300FXZA

SOLVED
Cosmic Ray

Re: **SOLUTION** Connected to wireless network but not the Internet - UN50KU6300FXZA

I followed the instructions but my DNS Server input only allows four, single digits. Mine is set at  8 8 8 8

My CenturyLink DNS is listed as a Dynamic and Static. For example the Dynamic is: 205.171.3.66

How would I enter that into my Samsung DNS Server input?????? 

UN55F600AFXZA
Cosmic Ray

Re: **SOLUTION** Connected to wireless network but not the Internet - UN50KU6300FXZA

OK, found I could just scroll to any number for DNS. Just kept pressing "up" button until I got to the one I wanted for each digit.

My ISP CenturyLink (CenturyStink) said I had a Static DNS and confirmed the setting . I went in to my router and manually set DNS then changed the Samsung DNS in Network settings.

Will have to see if this works.

UN55F600AFXZA
Cosmic Ray

I see you figured out how to scroll the numbers up and down. Let me know how it worked for you.

Mine is still working perfectly, even after software upgrades. I'm hoping that someday Samsung will let me know they have solved this software issue and I can change back to automatic.

Note that if Centurylinks DNS server goes down or changes it's DNS IP, your TV wont work until it comes back up (or you change your TVs DNS IP again). Fortunately, their DNS IPs don't change very often and the DNS servers are pretty reliable..

Cosmic Ray

Thanks for the input. So far no picture cutouts after the change. Fingers crossed.

CenturyLink has one of the worst customer service support of anyone. But I stuck with no choices.

UN55F600AFXZA
Samsung Moderator

We appreciate the input.  

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Cosmic Ray

Fixed my problem!

UN55F600AFXZA
Samsung Moderator

Fantastic!!!

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Cosmic Ray

Well the "solution" did not fix the problem. Just today I again lost internet connection while watching Amazon. Thought problem fixed but not.  If the patteren over that last 2 days continues then internet dropping has improved, but not cured. I now cannot say the instructions on DNS settings has fixed this.

Any other "fixes"?

UN55F600AFXZA
Cosmic Ray

userqf8FY9ZDq5,

I am thinking that you have two issues.

One is connectivity to the internet, and the second appears to be a loss of connectivity to the internet but in realiity is a loss of the ability to look up IP addresses of domain names  (DNS). The latter is what my solution addresses.

I wish we could talk by phone, but assuming that is not possible, lets break your problem down with some questions.

Are you using WIFI with your TV?

When your TV loses connectivity, does your PC/tablet connected to the same WIFI network also lose connectivity?

Can you ping your DNS servers IP address from your PC/tablet? (You can look up how to ping IP addresses with an internet search)

If you cannot ping your DNS server, then perhaps you don't have internet connectivity or the DNS server is down. Try pinging 155.70.44.25 which is Centurylink.com's IP address (If anything works I would expect you to be able to reach them since they are your ISP) If you cannot ping this 155 IP then you don't have internet connectivity.

If you don't have internet connectivity then it could be either your WIFI channel is "noisy" or CenturyLink has issues. For the former, use the WIFI app I mentioned earlier and set your WIFI to a clear channel. For the latter, call CenturyLink.

Let me know how it goes!

NQ5P (Bob)

Cosmic Ray

Are you using WIFI with your TV?

Yes. As in I am connected via WiFi.

When your TV loses connectivity, does your PC/tablet connected to the same WIFI network also lose connectivity?

No. My other divices are connected. But I don't use other devices when watching TV.

Can you ping your DNS servers IP address from your PC/tablet? (You can look up how to ping IP addresses with an internet search)

Never tried it - but will do.

If you cannot ping your DNS server, then perhaps you don't have internet connectivity or the DNS server is down. Try pinging 155.70.44.25 which is Centurylink.com's IP address (If anything works I would expect you to be able to reach them since they are your ISP) If you cannot ping this 155 IP then you don't have internet connectivity.

I never have lost connection to the server when the TV losses it's connection. Here's what I get on the TV:

Video freezes, click pause, then play, and video resumes for a few seconds, then freezes again. Clicking pause again does not work to un-freeze. Click "Smart Hub" button and I get "Network Status" box. Click that box and I get the network staus screen where the available networks are listed. My usual network is listed but not "checked" until I scroll down, then checkmark appears. I then 'Refresh" network then go back to the video through "Smart Hub" where I find the Amazon video and resume play. This happens all the time, sometimes more than others.

"For the latter, call CenturyLink."

Useless option as CenturyStink has the worst customer service I have ever tried. For instance, every time my internet goes out and I call CenturyStink they blame my modem - it's never my modem.

UN55F600AFXZA