Connected to wireless network but not the Internet - UN50KU6300FXZA

SOLVED
Cosmic Ray

Re: **SOLUTION** Connected to wireless network but not the Internet - UN50KU6300FXZA

Hi userqf8FY9ZDq5,

it sounds like your ISP and loss of internet connectivity.

Do the ping test when the video freezes and see if it is a loss of all connectivity. The ping test can tell you if some packets are lost, or if total connectivity is lost. Some packet loss means a slowdown which especially affects video and results in temporary freezes.  Of course, loss of all connectivity causes freezes also.

you should never see any packet loss, given today's technology. Do not let them convince you that is normal. I have zero loss with Comcast.

i read about Centurylink and many people report similar issues with losing connectivity. May I suggest you complain every time it happens and if they do not fix the issue, take them to small claims court. Save all of your complaint documentation and ping test results. Perhaps take a videotape of your video freezing. Freezes would be very frustrating, I know from experience.

Good luck!

Cosmic Ray

Re: **SOLUTION** Connected to wireless network but not the Internet - UN50KU6300FXZA

"it sounds like your ISP and loss of internet connectivity."

Then why do I still have computer connected to internet? I never get interuptions on my other devices, only on Samsung TV.

I was expecting this - Samsung says CenturyLink, CenturyLink says Samsung.

I'll do a ping test next time it fails, but I don't expect any other loss of contectivity other than Samsung.

Do you have an answer if ping test shows conntected?

UN55F600AFXZA
Cosmic Ray

Userq5,

Dont forget to check your wifi channel as mentioned earlier in the forum.

you said, "My other devices are connected. But I don't use other devices when watching TV."

I suspect your other devices run a bit slower when the freeze occurs. Devices (like your smart TV) which use a lot of data will see a more dramatic slowdown aka freeze, while devices/applications (like email, browsing) which use a small amount of data may hardly notice. Here's another test. Try to watch Amazon on your computer at the same time the TV freezes watching Amazon. The computer (with its smaller screen) will use less data than the TV but more than email or browsing.

Looking forward to hearing your ping test results. A ping test is a very fundamental tool for a network administrator. There are many different ways it can be used.

i once had a network problem and wrote a continuous ping loop, so that whenever  I started losing packets it would generate a time stamp in a log. This helped me to isolate and demonstrate the problem to the network folks, and ultimately get it fixed.

what Operating system are you using on your computer? Windows 10? 7?    Apple OSX 10.7.5? 

Cosmic Ray

By the way, I am NOT Samsung. Just a consumer like you but with a network background.

Cosmic Ray

Userq5,

How is your TV/Amazon/Centurylink working this last couple days?

Cosmic Ray

Since the DNS changes the video freezes have reduced to rare occurances. But you may be right that a disconnected wifi is the cause. I've had one freeze since you suggested internet disconnect. When that occured I immediately went to my laptop to do a ping test. There was no connection. I then went through network "fixes" on the computer to bring the wifi back. However I then had to perform the same proceedure with Samsung: exit Smart Hub, re-connect Smart Hub, go to Network Status, refresh, then re-connect Smart Hub before I could continue with Amazon video.

I don't think CenturyLink internet disconnect is the problem as I get no interuption of service with computer, only Samsung Video. I am now going to forcus on my router/modem as the possible disconnect. I am waiting for next video freeze to see if my router lights indicate internet connection. It may be possible my router is not up to handling data steam????

Router/Modem combo is ActionTec GT784WN

Thanks for followup - I'm still trying to solve. 

UN55F600AFXZA
Constellation

stopped working today for no apparent reason

i'm on a good channel

it amazes me that my 35 dollar chromecast which is like...5 years old now?  has a reliable wifi connection and this fancy tv doesn't work

Cosmic Ray

Yes, mine can't even figure out DST. I have to set it manually each time the clock changes. My thermostat knows how to adjust for DST.

UN55F600AFXZA
Cosmic Ray

I haven't lost wifi in a long time since the last adjustment. I still loose Favorites that have to be re-entered. Just today three channels in Favorites went missing.

UN55F600AFXZA
Constellation

[ Edited ]

@userrBK7ggC3vz wrote:

stopped working today for no apparent reason

i'm on a good channel

it amazes me that my 35 dollar chromecast which is like...5 years old now?  has a reliable wifi connection and this fancy tv doesn't work

oops,forrgot to check.  there was an update.  MY BAD

everything works fine now!!!