HDR10+ Support on Samsung KS8000 (2016 models)

Constellation

Re: HDR10+ Support on Samsung KS8000 (2016 models)

1) I don't understand the promise and then lack of communication/delivery more than a year later. Samsung should want to push this tech to as many TV's as possible so that the adoption rate is higher.  

2) Has anyone in the US tried the 1209 update? No issues with the set? 

Asteroid

[ Edited ]

This just seems to me like a lawsuit waiting to happen, when you promise something and its not given is just a straight up lie to consumers which I bet some people purchase that particular TV on the promise that they would get some extra features.

Samsung is the only company out of the manufatures who don't seem to update the TV's UI to match current models, it stays the same always no matter what. Sony, LG and others will update the UI and give customers pretty much some new feature and make you almost feel like you got a new TV. 

I guess they want people to purchase the new ones and thats the reason they refuse to give you a new coat of paint on your TV's OS (I remember Samsung trying to rip people off with thouse upgrade kits). I own a KS and Q8C and they are great but my Sony Oled gets some amazing updates and new features added not just stability updates that make me feel like nothing actually happened, I can actually see a change.

Also you guys need to start talking to devs about apps the store is really thin, you have the basics but a lot is missing and had to purchase an Apple TV/Roku just to be able to get the apps that I should be able to download on my TV that I paid 2 thousand to 3 thousand plus dollars.

Hopefuly those are things Samsung will change in the future (I doubt it) but you shouldn't charge customers who spent money on your TV's more money to upgrade the OS, stop being lazy and trying to nickle and dime your customers and start giving them real support for your products. 

Asteroid

[ Edited ]

I tried it, they say that it has the HDR 10+ on this update and I've watched things on Prime Video don't really see a difference and Samsung never said this update added HDR 10+ support for 2016 models. It's safe to download and install from the Korean Samsung support page but don't expect anything from it.

Constellation

If the update has HDR10+ Amazon will show HDR10+ playing on the info. I really hope this TV gets the update like we were promised. I'm trying to not buy a new TV.

Asteroid

The Amazon Video app displays the HDR notification when HDR is playing however we do not know whether if it is just vanilla HDR10 or if it is HDR10+.

The only mention of the HDR10+ implementation for the 2016 SUHD television was back in April 2017. But we have yet to see Samsung “officially” confirming or denying this update.

Source:
http://www.samsung.com/global/tv/news/samsung-and-amazon-video-deliver-next-generation-hdr-video-exp...

Furthermore, Samsung does not include change notes for each firmware update so we cannot confirm whether or not the HDR10+ has been implemented at all.

Constellation

Well I read that if Amazon is playing HDR10+ it will display it as HDR10+

Asteroid

[ Edited ]

I am not denying the fact that Amazon Video is pushing out HDR10+ content but we do not know whether or not if HDR10+ is being properly supported on the 2016 SUHD. Samsung has not confirmed or denied whether the 2016 models got the firmware update.

Asteroid

The TV won't tell you if its HDR 10+ just like your TV won't say that it's HDR 10.  No matter what it is it will only say HDR video is playing, Prime Video app is the only app that tells you this as it has been removed from everything else. I own a QLed 2017 which has HDR 10+ and the Prime Video app doesn't show that it's content is HDR 10+ in the description and the TV also won't tell you (display) that it's HDR 10+ because HDR is HDR doesn't matter what kind.

Asteroid

[ Edited ]

Yes, you are correct that the television will just notify you that the HDR content is switched on and it won’t distinguish whether it is HDR10 or HDR10+. Samsung has already confirmed that the 2017 models have the HDR10+ firmware enabled but customers with the 2016 models are left to wonder whether their sets will soon support this new format.

What is not confirmed at this point in time is whether Samsung is still planning on honouring their promise on delivering the HDR10+ updates to the 2016 models. In summation, Samsung needs to be more clear and upfront about this situation.

Constellation

Well I really don't want to have to buy another TV because the KS8000 is still a great TV and it wasn't cheap so I believe we deserve the update for HDR10+ as promised.