PlayOn TV App recorded shows in MP4 format - get msg Not Supported.

Constellation

PlayOn TV App recorded shows in MP4 format - get msg Not Supported.

Using PlayOn TV App to record shows. When i try to play them back i get a msg saying filetype not supported. They are recorded in MP4 format. I can watch these recorded shows on my laptop just fine. If i Cast them to the TV i get the not supported msg so there is something in the tv settings, I'm guessing' that is causing these to be rejected. These errors are happening with my new tv(55" Class KU6290 4K UHD TV). They worked fine on my old 46" Samsung.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

5 REPLIES
Samsung Moderator

Re: PlayOn TV App recorded shows in MP4 format - get msg Not Supported.

Hey there usercahQB2wcl3, I am looking into this for you with our product support team. I know MP4 codecs can be played over USB but I cannot locate a casted/network played videos format requirements list. Once I have more information, I will follow up with you here. 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Constellation

By the way, i realized yesterday that the 46" TV is playing them through ROKU device not the SmartTV source. I'm guessing that might make a difference.

Constellation

Any updates on this?  I'm able to browse my PlayOn files just fine but when I try to play one, I get an alert that says

Unsupported Feature

The file you've selected is not currently supported.

The file is mp4, but I don't know what codec(s) PlayOn uses.  I am able to open the file from my phone (via the PlayOn all on my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge) and cast it to the TV and I'm also able to play the files on another TV with a Roku.  It would just be nice to be able to play the files directly on my nice Samsung 65" in my family room...

Samsung Moderator

Attached below is the TV's supported formats. When playing network streaming/videos you will run into some network solutions that do "on the fly" encoding and can mess stuff up. To test, put the file in question on a thumbdrive/USB and test playback. If it works then it is something that app is doing that we wouldn't be able to help.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Astronaut

I also attached a hard drive by USB and can navigate through the blue rays menu to the movies but getting a error that the format is not supported.  The movies are in mp4 format which is listed in the blue ray players literature.  Please advise