Screen mirroring not working after connecting with ethernet

SOLVED
Highlighted
Asteroid

Screen mirroring not working after connecting with ethernet

[ Edited ]

A few days ago, I bought a Samsung UN32J2505AF Smart TV. At first, I connected it with Wi-Fi. I was able to use my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge, which runs Android Nougat 7.0, to mirror the screen of the phone to the TV. But, yesterday, I decided I would connect the TV to the internet using an Ethernet cable. Now, whenever I try to use my phone to mirror the screen using the Samsung Connect app, there is only an option to "View Content on TV (Smart View) and no longer an option for screen mirroring, even though both devices are connected to the same network. I know that this issue is probably because the TV is connected through Ethernet because I have another Samsung smart TV in another room connected with WiFi, and I can mirror to that with no problem. Is there any way to fix my issue other than connecting with WiFi because I'd like to continue using the Ethernet as it's a faster connection.

Edit: I tried connecting the TV to the WiFi network again and screen mirroring still did not show up. So it looks like the Ethernet is not the problem. Yesterday morning, the screen mirroring worked, but not last night.

See more topics labeled with:

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Regular Contributor (Elite)
Solution
Accepted by topic author userevmV0K9AnS
‎07-19-2017 12:04 PM

Re: Screen mirroring not working after connecting with ethernet

Derp... Of course...

I'm "this close" to throwing in the towel on this one... I won't really. I am pretty stumped. You sound like a very technology savvy person. I believe what you say about your phone and TV and settings... I forgot to ask about the one thing that could be doing this: YOUR MODEM/ROUTER hahaha

Who provides your internet and who makes your modem/router? 

I have Cox and I do have to log in to my account online to be able to access my modem/router and change the settings. It's worth taking a look at. 

On the TV, I know there is an "accepted device list" and you can also choose to reject a certain fevice, but I am pretty sure that's not what we have going on here...

It's probably something super simple and after we find the answer I'm going to feel silly for having made this more complicated than it had to be. 

✨KLHN1986 REGULAR CONTRIBUTOR (ELITE)✨
☆ If you like my answers, I would love stars☆

The rank of contributor is a rank assigned
to community members that have been recognized for
sharing high quality answers and material to the Samsung+ Community.
Contributors do not formally represent Samsung
10 REPLIES

Have you checked your TV to see if there is a "screen mirroring" option on the TV? I know often for screen mirroring a phone has to be connected to the same Wi-Fi network to be able to cast, but I did not think having the TV connected via ethernet would change the network your TV is on. It's all the home network. The Wi-Fi on your phone is on right? My TV has an option that you can select a device to mirror from onto the TV. This is interesting. I'm so curious to find out more about this TV/network/cell phone/ screen mirroring thing!

Asteroid

There is a screen mirroring option on my TV, whenever I select it it tells me to go on my phone and start the connection on there, like I usually do. And, yes, it's all the home network. Actually, I tried connecting the TV to the WiFi again and still there is no screen mirroring. So I think this problem is not related to the Ethernet

I'm having a little trouble completely wrapping my head around this problem.

Try unplugging both your TV and your router/modem for approximately 10 minutes to allow both to burn off residual charge and clear any bug that might be there causing this. Make sure you unplug them safely and do not just turn them off. When in doubt, unplug and reset! Let me know if this works. 

Asteroid

Thank you for the suggestion. My router and modem are both one device, so I turned it off, kept it off for 10 minutes, then plugged it back in, and now unfortunately I still have the problem

did you also unplug your TV?

Asteroid

I unplugged the TV and turned off the phone while the router was off

[ Edited ]

Did you look at your screen mirroring and privacy settings on both the TV and the phone? Something might have accidentally gotten changed... Sometimes settings that can effect screen sharing might be under device sharing or connections or trusted devices or device visibility. 

The only other thing I can think of is to try a safe mode test with your phone. There might be an app causing the problem. I don't know that trying Safe Mode would reveal anything, but it could!

Have you checked your TV and phone's latest software version to make sure they are both up to date? 

I'm glad you unplugged both your TV and the modem/router to be sure. 

I know it's a lot of dumb questions... but the more information you have the better. I'm sure a moderator will reach out with some additional ideas. I will try to use my noodle and try to think of what else this could be. I am not sure it's something with the TV, I haven't heard other similar complaints yet. Oftentimes, if there is an issue with a smart TV, I will see similar posts on the forum. You're the first one I've seen have this type of problem. Honestly my dad has had the same problem and it was a privacy setting on his Note 4 that he'd turned on. 

Asteroid

[ Edited ]

I checked over the phone and TV settings, and didn't find anything that would prevent screen mirroring with the TV

And unfortunately it didn't even work with safe mode

Both devices are updated also

I don't think this is a problem with the phone because I can mirror my screen to my other samsung smart tv fine

Solution
Accepted by topic author userevmV0K9AnS
‎07-19-2017 12:04 PM

Derp... Of course...

I'm "this close" to throwing in the towel on this one... I won't really. I am pretty stumped. You sound like a very technology savvy person. I believe what you say about your phone and TV and settings... I forgot to ask about the one thing that could be doing this: YOUR MODEM/ROUTER hahaha

Who provides your internet and who makes your modem/router? 

I have Cox and I do have to log in to my account online to be able to access my modem/router and change the settings. It's worth taking a look at. 

On the TV, I know there is an "accepted device list" and you can also choose to reject a certain fevice, but I am pretty sure that's not what we have going on here...

It's probably something super simple and after we find the answer I'm going to feel silly for having made this more complicated than it had to be.