Smart View replaces Samsung Link?

SOLVED
Asteroid

Smart View replaces Samsung Link?

After enjoying my Samsung smart TV for 4 years, I discovered today that Samsung decided to discontinue using Samsung Link and move to Smart View. I was using Samsung Link to stream/watch movies from my windows desktop via wifi. Switching to Smart View, I was able to install it on my pc and make the connectivity to the TV; however I was not able to view the content (files) that I added to the Smart View on the TV. Calling Samsung customer support turned out to be a waste of time, after spending close to 2.5h they told me that this functionality is no longer available for my TV model. I don't understand, are Samsung forcing me to replace my TV after only 4 years? Samsung can't find a solution to my problem? I'm sure I'm not the only person facing this problem. What do I do?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author chicago_girl
‎11-04-2016 05:59 AM

Re: Smart View replaces Samsung Link?

@chicago_girl

Got it!  I understand better.  That will teach me to read twice before I answer once Smiley Happy  You might try the Plex app for the tv.   Takes a bit of setting up but it should do the job.  In full disclosure, I have not set it up on this TV but have used it through my Roku.   I think it might be what you are looking for.

by SteveHogan
Formerly a slave to a Galaxy Note 7
Now enjoying my freedom with an S7 Edge on Verizon
( I hate Verizon least of all Smiley Wink )
And still watching a Samsung 55KS8000 when I can

Help others on this forum.  If you are the originator of this topic, please be sure to click "✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

10 REPLIES

@chicago_girl

The support people are usually clueless on app-related stuff.

Try this - http://www.samsung.com/us/apps/smart-view-2/

by SteveHogan

Help others on this forum.  If you are the originator of this topic, please be sure to click "✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Asteroid

That's great Steve, but both my research and customer support referred me to this site. I downloaded the application to my desktop but it doesn't allow me to view my movie library on my TV (like I did in Link) and choose which movie to watch. The customer support guys told me that it is not supported by smart view on my TV model, but didn't provide any alternative. I think I'm going to buy Apple TV Smiley Sad
Solution
Accepted by topic author chicago_girl
‎11-04-2016 05:59 AM

@chicago_girl

Got it!  I understand better.  That will teach me to read twice before I answer once Smiley Happy  You might try the Plex app for the tv.   Takes a bit of setting up but it should do the job.  In full disclosure, I have not set it up on this TV but have used it through my Roku.   I think it might be what you are looking for.

by SteveHogan

Asteroid

Thank you Steve, Plex works beautifully. I'm still learning how to fully utilize it, but it seem to have solved the problem.
Constellation

Interesting.  I've been trying to find a solution for months, but when I try to download Plex to my TV it tells me the function is not supported.

Still, though, one can't help but be upset that I spent extra money for a SMART TV only to find out that it was lobotomized.

Does anyone have any suggestions what I might try next?

Astronaut

[ Edited ]

I am so angry with Samsung. I will never purchase anything from them again. They are the highest priced TV and the cheaper TVs are just as good. My whole family used the link... 

Constellation

I would purchase a Roku stick 3600R. First, there is the handy Xfinity streaming app...that, alone, will save bundles on cable box monthly rentals. Then there are the private Roku channels for those who like discreet movie screeners & finally, hassle-free wifi streaming across tablet, PC and smart phones
Astronaut

Is Smartview real software? I ask because I downloaded it here http://www.samsung.com/us/apps/smart-view-2/, andwhile it does download some software, the software does not actually connect to the TV. 

Samsung Moderator

userwLBk7khlNb while yes, it is real software; it does not actually work with all televisions. Can you provide the model code of your TV? I can check to see if your model is compatible or not. 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.