JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

How to Turn off auto-detect HDMI

(Topic created: 04-16-2016 01:26 PM)
CNMark
Astronaut
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

How do you turn off the auto-detect HDMI feature? Sometimes my Apple TV comes on and then the TV automatically turns on as well but I don't want the TV to do so. How do you turn off this feature?

Thanks,

Mark

JUMP TO SOLUTION
536 Replies
Sam Soong
Cosmic Ray
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Nice solution, costs about one 5th of what I am using:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SNVY4D2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A311BEHFUHRLQM

I expected much more responses like this from people trying to solve Samsung's fault themselves.
Don't get mad, get a HDMI (not Nintendo) switch, or perhaps even a HDMI splitter will do...

0 Likes
r3dxk1ng
Asteroid
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

A firmware update was just released for my tv(ks9500) and it's version 1169.2 (it was 1168 prior). I'm going to check and  report back if this has fixed/addresed the issue we are having in this thread(though I don't hold my breath). On another note does anyone know where we can see the firmware changes/updates in detail???

Edit: Issue is still occurring after firmware update. Once again it's been ignored and has not been addressed in this latest firmware sigh. I'm seriously going with another brand for my next tv. I'm done with Samsung at this point.

userxVezxvZ51K
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

For anyone having problems with this most annoying of faults the only workaround I am aware of that works consistently is to use an HDMI switch. As @userDPAmulYfUf mentioned it needs to be a powered one to work. I needed more inputs so I went for a high end AGPtek "5x1 Switch HDMI 2.0 4K/60Hz", but there are much cheaper options available. Its a shame that you need to buy extra kit to work around an issue that Samsung should fix, but at least you can work around it!

0 Likes
userbd1iru7Jnr
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Thank you for this!  I have a switch that can operate powered or not powered. I got a new TV and couldn't figure this problem out. Once I plugged in my 5 port switch to power it functioned correctly!  Thank you! 

0 Likes
SadRobot
Asteroid
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

PLEASE fix this. I set my DVR to start recording 1 minute before a show starts, e.g. 9:59PM. The recorder powers up 2 minutes before start time, e.g. 9:57. So it cuts off the final scene of whatever I'm watching. It's unbelievable and unacceptable that a "smart" TV could be designed with such an idiotic "feature"...

Larry L
Asteroid
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Everyone in this thread - we've made it on to The Verge: https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/5/18/15658876/samsung-tv-2016-automatic-hdmi-switching-...

I would suggest that everyone else do like I did and submit tips to Gizmodo, Ars Technica, Endgadget - any other tech news sites you can think of - with a link to this forum thread. Perhaps the coverage will push Samsung for an answer.

userp1Awfz2Xgo
Cosmic Ray
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Great stuff.

Hopefully this is the kick up the bum that Samsung need to give us a better answer than "Errrrrr, not a problem with our feature, try changing a setting on your devices".

Your auto switching 'feature' is broken Samsung, people who have spent a lot of money on your product shouldn't have to spend more money on different hdmi switch boxes because you can't/won't fix this issue.

You're going to start losing business now this broken feature is becoming wider knowledge.

imsoupercereal
Asteroid
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs
I'll bump this thread with the same issues on the 65" Q7F: QN65Q7FAMFXZA . This plus the inability to communicate to my HTPC is absolutely unacceptable.
userppXLzrPJ6t
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

I think a more vocal approach is always best in these situations. Posting to the board is great, but when multiple support agents are having to escalate the same issue from their irate customers to higher level support or their management, I think we will be more likely to see action sooner.

I'm ready to take my Samsung back to the store and try another brand, I know most of you don't have that luxury.

Here is my heated exchange with Samsung support chat on this issue, we'll see if I get a call back from "Level 2 support" or if it ended up in the circular file.

Chat Transcript

Info: Thank you for choosing to chat with us.  An agent will be with you shortly.
Info: You are now chatting with Samsung Agent.
Samsung Agent: Hi, thank you for reaching out to Samsung technical support. How may I assist you?
Chad Marsh: How do I turn off automatic input source switching on my new 65" KS8000 TV?
Samsung Agent: 

Let us work together to figure out why the TV is auto switching the source.

Samsung Agent: 

Thanks for the model number.

Samsung Agent: 

What are the devices connected to TV?

Chad Marsh: 1: PlayStation 4 Pro, 2: Home Theater PC, 3: Playstation 3, 4: Nintendo Switch.
Samsung Agent: 

Disconnect all the devices and connect one by one to TV and check if the issue persists.

Chad Marsh: Oh good grief. I apparently need level 2 support. It's not an issue, it's a feature, and I want to turn it off.
Chad Marsh: Why should the TV presume to know which input I want to use in the first place??
Chad Marsh: If I have multiple devices turned on at the same time, how could it possibly?
Samsung Agent: 

Chad, this is not a feature. Not to worry.

Samsung Agent: 

When there are 3 devices connected to TV and 2 are turned OFF and you turn ON one of them, the TV switches on to the turned ON device automatically.

Chad Marsh: Yeah, that is stupid, I want to turn that function off.
Samsung Agent: 

There is no feature to turn it OFF.

Chad Marsh: Oh my god, you must be kidding me?? I am at a loss for words. Your product engineers must not think through usage scenarios.
Chad Marsh: For example, the home theater PC has multiple outputs, one to a 28" desktop screen and one to the Samsung TV. So if one person is using the PS4 on the TV, and I want to turn on the PC and use the small screen, it switches and interrupts their game.
Samsung Agent: 

Chad, it switches back to TV once the source is selected again.

Chad Marsh: Manually, which takes multiple button presses on the "so-called" Smart remote?
Chad Marsh: Seriously, this is probably a deal-breaker for my home, which means I have to take this f*#!ing thing back off the ceiling mount and remove all the cabling in the attic so I can return it to the store and buy something that has the ability to turn off this function!?
Chad Marsh: Unbelievable
Samsung Agent: I understand, I will forward this issue to our tier 2 team.
Samsung Agent: They will get back to you within 1-2 business days.
Samsung Agent: 

Help me with a few details like full name, contact number and E-mail address.

Chad Marsh: Chad Marsh <removed>
Samsung Agent: 

Thanks for the details.

Samsung Agent: 

I will surely forward this details to the appropriate team. 

Chad Marsh: Okay
Samsung Agent: 

Let me know if you have further questions for me.

Chad Marsh: I don't
Samsung Agent: 

Thanks for chatting with Samsung Support. It has been pleasure assisting you today. Remember, we are always here to support you with any questions you have as Live Chat is 24X7.

Follow Samsung Service on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.

Info: Thank you for chatting with us.

mfessenden
Asteroid
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Seems there's a light at the end of the tunnel:

Samsung responds to complaints about HDMI switching, will offer a firmware update