Original topic:

Anyone seeing October Security Update for US Wifi Galaxy Tab S7+

(Topic created: 11-10-2023 08:21 AM)
Hekdog_85
Constellation
Options
Tablets

I see online posts about the update rolling out in other countries and even in the US to carrier devices, but still not getting it on my device.  I use my device for work and Samsung's quarterly tablet update schedule already conflicts with secure enterprise requirements, luckily they have extended it a bit for Samsung users but as of Tuesday Nov. 14th they will cut us off.  This is a Fortune 100 company and I am sure other industries do the same so it's amazing that Samsung just doesn't seem to care about these devices getting used in corporate settings.

14 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
Tablets
@Hekdog_85 I completely understand your frustrations about not receiving the update your wanting. It is coming, just be patient!

Do you work for a large corporation?

I've worked in Enterprise IT Support for very large corporations. It is in my experience that if your IT Department felt that you or their IT infrastructure . We're to be open to possible security exploits or having any major vulnerabilities that could not me remediated.

Then your device and others within your organization would be entered into EOL (End of Life) With that in mind. It very well cound be that it's just a matter of time before the update drops and will come. If your IT Organization has plans to retire your device. Usually the IT Organization has a refresh road map that you may not yet know about at the moment.

Just be patient!

Yes I know the update comes directly from Samsung. You bet your IT Director has more information than you do. Large Enterprise IT Departments have internal resources and connections with most if not all major manufacturers of products. Resources that average people outside it. Don't have!
0 Likes
Hekdog_85
Constellation
Options
Tablets
In my case this is BYOD program so my device is allowed to access the company network via very specific apps. But to do so they have a minimum Android Security Patch level, which as of November 14th will be the September patch. I work in IT as an Engineer myself so I am very in tune to the process, which makes Samsungs tablet update process even more mind boggling as even if I had a newer device I could be perilously close to losing access even with a newer tablet.

I was really throwing a hail mary on this site as I have followed Android closely since the beginning and used to commonly load custom ROMs. I know I won't get any formal Samsung response but just needed to vent and just maybe for peace of mind someone will have gotten the update and respond. I may just need to get a newer device but not sure that a Samsung tablet will fit the bill which will be very sad.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
Tablets

Nice! Again I completely understand your frustration with not receiving updates that we badly want. I too sometimes would like to vent my frustrations too! I too understand that being in compliance with IT's Directives. BYOD is it's own can of worms.

0 Likes
bill-e
Epic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Tablets

What is your current patch level.  My Tab S8U is October

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy Fold 5 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S8 Ultra, Tab S4, Galaxy Watch6Classic 47mm(VZW), Galaxy Watch5Pro(VZW), M8 Smart Monitor
0 Likes
Hekdog_85
Constellation
Options
Tablets
Security Path level is still July 1st... and believe me I have checked for the update multiple times a day over the last couple weeks. I saw multiple websites reporting a couple weeks back that devices in Europe were seeing the update and then I also saw at least one report that carrier devices in the US are getting it, but still seems like nothing for the WiFi US version. I also don't like when I look at the Samsung's Security page it lists the Tab S7+ in the biannual update section, pretty sure that is a typo since the regular Tab s7 is in the quarterly section and they are essentially the same device internally.
0 Likes
bill-e
Epic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Tablets

Yea, this whole line looks out of place but who knows what they're doing. 

• Galaxy Tab S6 5G, Galaxy Tab S7+, Galaxy Tab S7 FE
** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy Fold 5 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S8 Ultra, Tab S4, Galaxy Watch6Classic 47mm(VZW), Galaxy Watch5Pro(VZW), M8 Smart Monitor
0 Likes
Hekdog_85
Constellation
Options
Tablets
Yeah I am going to remain hopeful they stick with this quarterly for one more year as it's at least rumored they are giving the Tab S7 series the 4 years of updates. But either way it just stinks they can't get things out quicker for these quarterly updates. Not a big deal on phones that get monthly updates to be a month or two behind, but on the quarterly devices a month or two behind pushes 4-5 months which then makes these devices not usable in the business world. Samsung is essentially removing a good chunk of their customer market by doing this.
Rayzer
Comet
Options
Tablets
I have the S9 Ultra, and the last update I got was for August, when I got it new out of the box. Even if it's updated quarterly, I'm three and a half months.
0 Likes
Hekdog_85
Constellation
Options
Tablets
This is what scares me or even just is going to force me elsewhere. I am now 6 months out on my S7+ and I thought maybe I just need to run a trade in to the S9± or Ultra but if they aren't even spot on there for a quarterly schedule I am going to get shut down by my work policy every time that lapses. Google really needs to come out with a new Pixel tablet and make one that looks as nice as the Tab series.
0 Likes