Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marg52
Cosmic Ray

Charging time for Tab S 10.5........Update

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello again,  

OK I loaded the Battery monitoring Widget as instructed last night. It intially showed 87% "charging" and 8 hrs 35 mins "Time Left" and that it was receiving AC. After leaving the charged plugged in overnight, this morning it showed Battery Level of 100% with 20 hours time left (usable time ?). I unplugged the charger at this point. After powering it off, and than immediately plugging the charger back in, the green battery on the screen indicated 87%. So I powered up (without AC plugged in) and the icon at the top also only showed 87%. I than opened Battery Monitoring and it now showed 87% "in use" and 8hrs 48 Min "Time Left", charged unplugged at this point. I'm confused as to how it instantly dropped from 100% to 87%, or am I missing something? Thanks again.  

Bill

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
marg52
Cosmic Ray

Re: Charging time for Tab S 10.5........Update

JUMP TO SOLUTION

So far they have. I received an EMAIL and UPS label and sent it off Fri. Was sent to NJ from Ct so they should get it today or tomorrow I'd assume. i'll keep you all posted here. Hoping for the best !!!!

Bill

18 REPLIES 18
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Good Afternoon!

Are you using the original Charger that came with the tablet? 

Community Guidelines: https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Welcome-Blog/Samsung-Community-General-Guidelines/ba-p/459817
Terms of Service: https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Welcome-Blog/Samsung-Community-Terms-and-Conditions/ba-p/460091
marg52
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION
No, Best Buy gave me a new one when I first complained about this problem.
Comet

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I think what he meant to ask is, are you using a Samsung approved charger? Like any company, they cannot guarantee someone else's products to work with their own. But as long as it is a quality charger and not some $5 cheapy you should be ok.

As far as the Battery Monitoring widget, that is just a good way to get a better understanding of how the process works. The calculations in it can be a little wonky sometimes because it reads the Kernel information and determines how much battery you are using to give you a remaining time on it. If it is using 500mAh and the max capacity is 7600mAh then you would have 15.2 hours remaining. Depending on what all is running and if you have Wifi, or Bluetooth on and the brightness of the screen, your usage and remaining time will vary.

Going from 100% down to 87% immediately however is not normal. This could be because of the batteries inability to hold a charge or the software you are using is out of date. Make sure the tablet has the latest software on it by going into settings and finding the update feature.

Over time the battery will slowly lose its ability to hold a charge, the same as a car battery and eventually will need to be replaced. Most of these tablets however are designed to be disposable and have a shorter and shorter life cycle with the newer latest and greatest models rolling out as replacements. This applies to most all electronics nowadays unfortunately.

--~Mistakes are proof you are trying~--   
For repairs or general technical support call: 1-800-726-7864 (1-800-Samsung)

Be sure to click "✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

marg52
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

JonDev,

Thank you for writing again. At first I found that very interesting when he asked about the charger. The first time we took it back to Best Buy, a Samsung rep and BB employee were looking at it. One of them and I honestly don't remember now mentioned something about our charger being some type of "Quick Charge" type charger that should have been included with the tab when we first bought it. As I mentioned they than gave us a new Samsung charger to try and see if that helped, which it didn't. It was after that they sent it out to the Geek Squad whoe replaced the battery and charging cord saying they were both defective. I will check the settings you mentioned for updates later and see where that might lead me. Again thank you for taking the time to respond, we both really appreciate it.

Bill

marg52
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

This is a response to an EMAIL I received from Samsung Community Mailer asking about the status of my situation..........

Well I've tried everything provided here and it's actually getting worse, i.e. after 24 hours of charging at best 57%, and that's the good. Other times after charging it goes down to 8% from 67%, when it had been getting that high. Will be taking it back to Best Buy Monday for the third time. This is a great forum and I appreciate everones help, but unfortunately this experience has left me with a less than positive feeling towards Samsung and Best Buy. I think the fact that I bought it for my wife to use as she goes through a very difficult time in her life and having it become usless when we needed it most is the most discouraging. That and the fact I spent the extra money for Best Buy's Geek Squad agreement, an additional $160, just adds to my disappointment. Even more so as we sit here a good 2 months after the initial complaint with not only no fix, but a tablet that's even worse than when we started.

Again thank those of you who took the time and offered me very helpful and easy to understand directions for possible remedies, I sincerely appreciated the time you took to provide them to me.

Please know that I have done my best not to insult this VERY helpful and appreciated forum by expressing my true feelings of both Samsung and Best Buy at this point.

Bill

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

If you are interested in having the tablet serviced by Samsung, please e-mail me at smsupport@sea.samsung.com. Thanks!

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Comet

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey Bill,

I feel your frustration. It may be in your best interest to have it sent off to Samsung and let them have a look at it directly. They may be able to work out a deal for you and get it serviced at no charge to you (Maybe, one would only hope) but you should definitely let a professional look at it as it is clearly defective in some form. 

No offense to Best Buy or anything but they don't really know how to troubleshoot any piece of electronics, all they do is sell the products. As for Geek Squad, I would not recommend their services to my worst enemy. I had a really bad experience from a geek squad employee when purchasing a computer from Best Buy where the employee literally called me an idiot for not accepting them to "Clean Install" windows for $99 extra when the computer was new in box... Needless to say I know my way around computers and electronics and being bashed on didn't go over well for me and because of that I won’t ever buy electronics or anything from Best Buy again.

P.S. No I don't work for Samsung, I just understand that there are always going to be bad cookies in the bunch. I do however work in a quality control environment and know that even if you test the product to the fullest extent there may be failures that come about, Thus why they have a 1 year warranty for most products.

--~Mistakes are proof you are trying~--   
For repairs or general technical support call: 1-800-726-7864 (1-800-Samsung)

Be sure to click "✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

marg52
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi Jon,

I did in fact receive an EMAIL yesterday from Samsung Suppport for information to have me send it directly to them. Hopefully I'll hear back from them soon. It is still under warranty, but I thought I was doing the right thing taking it back to BB for them to have the Geek Squad fix it, again especially being I paid and extra $150 for a free replacemnt type of extended warranty. I can't say how much I appreciate Samsung's willingness to step in and help, that in itself says a lot for a company. Also not to dwell on it, but the fact that a tablet doesn't work I guess is small when compared to the circumstances I bought it for. Just adds to an overall stressfull situation. Right now I'm having a lot of faith that Samsung will follow through and help us with this. And again thank you for the time and consideration you've given us.

Bill 

Katanaguy
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@marg52 wrote:

Hi Jon,

I did in fact receive an EMAIL yesterday from Samsung Suppport for information to have me send it directly to them. Hopefully I'll hear back from them soon. It is still under warranty, but I thought I was doing the right thing taking it back to BB for them to have the Geek Squad fix it, again especially being I paid and extra $150 for a free replacemnt type of extended warranty. I can't say how much I appreciate Samsung's willingness to step in and help, that in itself says a lot for a company. Also not to dwell on it, but the fact that a tablet doesn't work I guess is small when compared to the circumstances I bought it for. Just adds to an overall stressfull situation. Right now I'm having a lot of faith that Samsung will follow through and help us with this. And again thank you for the time and consideration you've given us.

Bill 

Keep us updated...want to see IF "Sammy" followed through for you