JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Device care battery warning

(Topic created: 04-30-2023 11:59 AM)
Jasmeralia
Asteroid
Options
Tablets

The Device Care app seems to be triggering a battery warning as of the most recent updates. I have my tablet plugged in almost exclusively, so Device Care wants me to limit the max charge to 85% to extend the lifespan of the battery. Except... that setting is already enabled. I'm not sure if that app comes from Samsung or from Verizon, but I'd like to get it addressed. Attaching some screenshots.

Screenshot_20230430_115134_Messenger.jpg

Screenshot_20230430_115142_Device care.jpg

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
bill-e
Epic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Tablets

Did you set Protect Battery to ON?  The way  the message is worded it looks like the tablet itself turned it on.  In any case at least at the time you took the screen shots it shows your tab still fully charged. 

Protect Battery, even when turned on will not take effect until you reboot.  Do that and the charge level should eventually drop to 84-85%

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy Fold 5 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S8 Ultra, Tab S4, Galaxy Watch6Classic 47mm(VZW), Galaxy Watch5Pro(VZW), M8 Smart Monitor

View solution in context

0 Likes
4 Replies
cjhevgac6466
Astronaut
Options
Tablets
Works well1682870850844_1000000027_1682870850.jpgWi-Fi_QR_code_GuestWifi (2)_1000000038_1682883099.jpg
0 Likes
Solution
bill-e
Options
Tablets

Did you set Protect Battery to ON?  The way  the message is worded it looks like the tablet itself turned it on.  In any case at least at the time you took the screen shots it shows your tab still fully charged. 

Protect Battery, even when turned on will not take effect until you reboot.  Do that and the charge level should eventually drop to 84-85%

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy Fold 5 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S8 Ultra, Tab S4, Galaxy Watch6Classic 47mm(VZW), Galaxy Watch5Pro(VZW), M8 Smart Monitor
0 Likes
Jasmeralia
Asteroid
Options
Tablets

I hadn't considered that it might need a reboot, but that doesn't appear to be needed in this case. I toggled the protect setting when I got the notification and took the screenshots. It's now sitting at 95% and isn't showing the charge icon. I'm just confused as to why it needed a kick in the first place, but that seems moot at this point.

0 Likes
bill-e
Options
Tablets

I think if you pay attention when you toggle it, it warns that nothing will change until you reboot the device. 

As far as why, the last 15% of charge is hard on the battery which is why the protect setting is set at 85%.  You will notice that once you reach the 85% that depending on what you're doing, the tablet charge may drop a bit and then you'll see it charging.  I guess they figure that it's better for a battery to keep it topped off at 85 rather than 100.  I've been running my Tab S8U plugged in 24/7 for just under a year with the setting on. 

Bill
---
0 Likes