JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Disable air command

(Topic created: 07-26-2019 03:59 AM)
usernKLzNDFYFd
Astronaut
Options
Tablets

Update air command app so it can be fully disabled by the user, the air command feature is extremely annoying. Developers want the ability to program app specific features at button press without air command popping up its ugly head

12 Replies
userCwa1FZuP6L
Asteroid
Options
Tablets

Yes, please! Air command is really annoying... i would love to be able to use the button in several apps, which is not possible because of air command. Pleaaaaaseeeeeee

0 Likes
Solution
SamsungAdam
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Tablets

We appreciate your feedback and will tag it on the forum so that it will appear with other feedback, ideas, and requests. This will allow your post to be more easily found in the event that Samsung product groups are seeking outside feedback/requests/ideas regarding our products.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

View solution in context

userCwa1FZuP6L
Asteroid
Options
Tablets

Dear SamsungAdam,

your post is marked as a solution. It really is not. (Like, REALLY NOT).

Please fix the issue in the next software update for the Tab S4. It's just the one greyed-out button of a non-system-critical app... pleeeeaaaaaassssse

Cheers

uservnVF31rvm9
Astronaut
Options
Tablets

Hi. this has been an issue for over a year. Its not hard to fix. there have been many requests for an off button. Please be responsive to the people who buy and use your prodcts. 

userr1JFDGdspe
Constellation
Options
Tablets

I own a Samsung Tablet S4 (Model: SM-T830) and it's very frustrating dealing with the Air Command window popping up unintentionally because the S Pen button is very easy to press by accident. I cannot recommend this product to any of my friends at this time. 

I find it unreasonable that a simple option to disable the Air Command does not exist. FIX THIS ISSUE SAMSUNG!!!!!!

Berat
Constellation
Options
Tablets

I've started the same Discussion and somehow i am not able to reply there anymore, so i copy paste my answer to this discussion, so you guys can see the solution, too:

A few days ago i've got the new Android 9 Update and it's still not possible to deactivate the air commands, so i guess samsung is not gonna let us disable the air commands via settings. Whatever; I've found a way to deinstall Air Commands WITHOUT ROOT, so you can use your S-Pen Button with other apps. It's working with my Galxy Tab S3 perfectly.

Note: After deinstalling air commands, the "S-Pen Settings" will be disabled, too. So you can not set up you're S-Pen (like activating or deactivating hover etc.). So set up your S-Pen properly before deinstalling Air-Commands. You also won't able to use the Translate function, since the only way to start it is Aircommands. But If you do a factory reset air commands will reappear and you can set up your S-Pen again and use the translate function.

With this method, you can deinstall also another apps you don't need.

1. Install App Inspector from playstore

2. Enable USB debugging on your Tablet/Phone

3. Install Android Debug Bridge (ADB)

4. Start App Inspector and look for S-Pen Commands or Air Commands; Tap it, so you can see details. In the details you need to remember the "package name". (It's something like "com.samsung.android.aircommands" if i remember correctly, but check it for your self)

5. Connect your phone to your Computer

6. Run the command "adb devices" on your command-line console, to check if your phone is connected properly if you see your phone listed, it is connected

7. Run the command "adb shell" on your command-line console; now you can run commands on your phone.

8.Now run in the adb shell the command "pm uninstall -k --user 0 <package name>" (don't forget to replace <package name> by the name of the package you're going to deinstall)

9. Be happy!

amanda95
Halo
Options
Tablets

@Berat,

Thank you for sharing.    I believe the procedure is a bit too radical for what it is intended.     Samsung should provide a fix/update.     But there is no visibility or tracking number for the resolution of this valid and warranted request.   Not even the forum threads  can be used because access is apparently restricted after a period of time.

0 Likes
Berat
Constellation
Options
Tablets

@amanda95 wrote:

@Berat,

Thank you for sharing.    I believe the procedure is a bit too radical for what it is intended.     Samsung should provide a fix/update.     But there is no visibility or tracking number for the resolution of this valid and warranted request.   Not even the forum threads  can be used because access is apparently restricted after a period of time.

Yeah the instruction is only a workaround. And i miss the translation functionality, since i'm reading a lot of english literature and english is not my primary language. But at the moment, it seems to be the only way to get rid of air commands. I don't believe Samsung is ever going to implement the option to disable it unless they lose customers, because there are threads about this problem from 2017 and nothing is happening - and this is not a problem, you need 2 years to fix. The only thing we can do is not to buy and not to recommend Samsung Tablets with S-Pen if the goal is productivity, becaus air commands messes everything up.

0 Likes
amanda95
Halo
Options
Tablets

@Berat wrote:

I've started the same Discussion and somehow i am not able to reply there anymore, so i copy paste my answer to this discussion, so you guys can see the solution, too:

A few days ago i've got the new Android 9 Update and it's still not possible to deactivate the air commands, so i guess samsung is not gonna let us disable the air commands via settings. Whatever; I've found a way to deinstall Air Commands WITHOUT ROOT, so you can use your S-Pen Button with other apps. It's working with my Galxy Tab S3 perfectly.

Note: After deinstalling air commands, the "S-Pen Settings" will be disabled, too. So you can not set up you're S-Pen (like activating or deactivating hover etc.). So set up your S-Pen properly before deinstalling Air-Commands. You also won't able to use the Translate function, since the only way to start it is Aircommands. But If you do a factory reset air commands will reappear and you can set up your S-Pen again and use the translate function.

With this method, you can deinstall also another apps you don't need.

1. Install App Inspector from playstore

2. Enable USB debugging on your Tablet/Phone

3. Install Android Debug Bridge (ADB)

4. Start App Inspector and look for S-Pen Commands or Air Commands; Tap it, so you can see details. In the details you need to remember the "package name". (It's something like "com.samsung.android.aircommands" if i remember correctly, but check it for your self)

5. Connect your phone to your Computer

6. Run the command "adb devices" on your command-line console, to check if your phone is connected properly if you see your phone listed, it is connected

7. Run the command "adb shell" on your command-line console; now you can run commands on your phone.

8.Now run in the adb shell the command "pm uninstall -k --user 0 <package name>" (don't forget to replace <package name> by the name of the package you're going to deinstall)

9. Be happy!

Moreover, tagging this topic as 'solved' is not right.