cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hicountryrider
Asteroid

Galaxy Tab A 8.0" does not allow moving apps to SD Card

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'll start by saying I'm a first time tablet user! I just purchased a Tab A 8.0" and after intial setup the system automatically updated to Marshmellow 6.01 from Lollipop 5.02. That seemed to go OK.

I had purchased a 64GB SD card at the same time and I inserted it prior to even turning the device on for the first time. The card is recoginized by the device and evidently a whole bunch of Android files were installed on it. I can also hook up the device to a laptop and see the SD card there so I think the card is working fine.

Problem I'm having is that I want to move some apps to the SD card and have followed the procedure as outlined in the official Samsung support article:
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00043809/

galaxy-tab-a_move-apps.jpgGalaxy Tab A settingsI'm attaching a screeshot from that article that explains what the problem is that I'm having. The support article image does not match what I'm seeing on the device at the same point in the instructions.

Hope someone has an answer for this problem as otherwise I'm wondering why even bother with the SD card. From what I've read on various forums for the Galaxy Tab A there is no ability to even set default destinations for any new apps I might wish to install or to set default destination for pictures, etc. without rooting the device.

Appreciate any replies.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
useryUdPR8tDjg
Constellation

Re: Galaxy Tab A 8.0" does not allow moving apps to SD Card

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The problem your facing is not a problem with the tablet but that the instruction you are reading are for Android 5 in the newer Android 6, Google has changed the method to move apps so the instructions have slighty changed. In the image attached I have tried my best to point out the steps to move apps: to start you will need to click on an app in the application manager menu to see the apps full information, once you make it this far you will need to follow 3 steps: first you will need to select the storage option on the full information page, then in the next page you will click change to get the option to move the app to the SD then you just wait til the process is done and then move on to another app. PLEASE NOTE: That not all apps are movable so if the option to change storage locations does not appear it is because the app does not support being moved. If you are struggling to figure out which are movable you can find apps in the Google Play store that can tell you which can be moved.

14 REPLIES 14
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Could you provide an image of what you're seeing when you try to move apps?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Highlighted
Hicountryrider
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thanks for the reply. My original post includes a screenshot that shows what I am seeing. The red box and text explains it. I am not seeing the same image as shown in the official Samsung support article that I listed as a link in the post also.

Hicountryrider
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Sorry but I didn't read your reply closely enough. I assumed you were speaking about the image I have in the original post.

Being a first time tablet owner it took a little while for me to figure out how to grab a screenshot on my tablet. I have done so and am including it here. As it shows it does not have the text right below the blue header that has the option to choose the SD card. I'm sorry the image in my original post is not very clear. It is a screen grab of the image that was shown on the Samsung support page that the link points to. I hope that this new image clarifies what I was trying to say. Smiley Happy

galaxy_tab_123016.jpg

useryUdPR8tDjg
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The problem your facing is not a problem with the tablet but that the instruction you are reading are for Android 5 in the newer Android 6, Google has changed the method to move apps so the instructions have slighty changed. In the image attached I have tried my best to point out the steps to move apps: to start you will need to click on an app in the application manager menu to see the apps full information, once you make it this far you will need to follow 3 steps: first you will need to select the storage option on the full information page, then in the next page you will click change to get the option to move the app to the SD then you just wait til the process is done and then move on to another app. PLEASE NOTE: That not all apps are movable so if the option to change storage locations does not appear it is because the app does not support being moved. If you are struggling to figure out which are movable you can find apps in the Google Play store that can tell you which can be moved.

Hicountryrider
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thanks much! That worked for me. Of course I find that almost all the apps that came pre-installed are not movable, which I was aware of. But at least I now know the process to move an app if allowed.

It's a shame that the Samsung support article I linked to in my OP does not indicate that it is for Android 5 and is not applicable to Android 6. That would have saved me a bunch of time!

I've looked at apps2sd and might consider using it but for right now I can use your method. I've only installed 4 small apps since I've had the tablet, unfortunately none are movable.

After my device automatically updated to Marshmallow 6.01 from Lollipop 5.02 (the installed OS when I purchased) and then also automatically updated about 30 or so of the pre-installed apps, I find that my internal storage has gone from about 45% to about 52% used. I do not have any games, music, photos, videos etc. stored on the internal storage. As I mentioned I've only added 4 apps so the updates appear to eaten up 7% of my storage with no ability to avoid it.

Again, thanks for the help. Smiley Very Happy

miqie
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

You can stop apps from auto updating by going to the Google Play store, go to the three small lines at the very top left corner/Settings.  Uncheck auto update apps.  Apps like to update all the time and each time they do it uses up more space.  I seldom update my apps and they run fine.  

Hicountryrider
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have found that option already and unchecked it. I just can't believe how much internal space the bloatware apps that came with my Tab A take up and then add in the inability to uninstall or move any of the ones I don't want to my SD card  is frustrating. Not having the option of installing any new apps I may want directly to the SD card is also a drawback. Having to install them to the internal drive and then moving them, if even possible, to the SD card is a PITA!

Now, if I can learn how to be less ham fisted when using the built in keyboard or navigating the device (boy is the touchscreen sensitive!), life will be bettter! Smiley Happy

Thanks for the reply.

user8Sgt6T7grz
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

My Tab A 10.1 just shuts down during the transfer 

useryUdPR8tDjg
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

While I can't say I've ever encountered that error myself but after a quick Google search some people seem to claim that it can happen if your memory card isnt formated properly so you could try having your tablet format the card (be warned this will delete all data on the card!!!); Also some people say using certain older memory cards or one that has gone bad can cause issues like putting your tablet in a restart loop, app load errors, or even shutting down unexpectedly, so if you do happen to be using an older card maybe you can try using a newer one I recommend using a newer U1 or U3 card(they have faster speed capabilities that can help resolve issues in newer devices), please note if you do get a new card you should still have your device format it that way you can be sure it is in a format ready to be used by your device 

Also note my respond is based on the theory that this is happening no matter what app you try to move, if it is only happening for a specific app then maybe that app might not support being moved even if it does give the option to be moved