cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

Galaxy Tab A 8 very slow internet connection

I purchased a new Glaxy Tab A 8" model SM-T290 two days ago.
I have transferred what I wanted from my old Tab3 Lite SM-T113 and everything is fine except for the internet speed.

I'm still on ADSL with a top speed of around 10Mbps and this is what I get from my other devices, being the old SM-T113, my android phone and my laptops, all usually showing between 8 and 10 Mbps.
On the same network, my brand new Tab A SM-T290 only shows between .8 and 1.2 Mbps, ten times slower than everything else.

Is this a flaw in the Galaxy Tab A, or have I missed a setting somewhere?

37 REPLIES 37
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Galaxy Tab A 8 very slow internet connection

Have you tried resetting the network settings? Just a heads up, by resetting the network settings, it will remove all wi-fi and Bluetooth settings you currently have saved.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
Asteroid

@SamsungAdam wrote:

Have you tried resetting the network settings?
Unfortunately that didn't help. Any other suggestions?

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Can I ask how many devices you have connected at the same time? It could be that your bandwidth is not enough to support them all at once. 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.
Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
Asteroid

With all other devices disabled, the Tab A 8 showed a speed of 6.2 Mbps, definately an improvement, but still only a bit more than half the speed of other devices when they are all connected. With ALL devices connected, my old Tab3 Lite T113 ran at 11 Mbps, as do the other devices - Android phone, and laptop. I ran these tests no more than 2 metres from the router in clear line of sight. I had also disconnected two wifi security cameras.

When all other devices were reconnected, they ran at their normal 8-10 Mbps while the Tab A 8 dropped back to 1.2 Mbps

It seems to me that there must be a fault in the new Tab A because I would have thought its performance would be at least equal to the much older T113.

Highlighted
Asteroid

Im experiencing the same behaviot. I have 2 new tab A. Both are lagging on WIFI compared to all other devices on my network. Ive tried resetting network settings and factory reboot. Neither helped. Have you had any success improving performance for these tablets?

Highlighted
Asteroid

@userbki77rj9i8 wrote:

Im experiencing the same behaviot.  ....   Have you had any success improving performance for these tablets?

Unfortunately - no.   Looks like it might just be that the Tab A 8 is a poorly designed and consequently a poorly performing device. I'd love to hear from someone at Samsung on this.

Highlighted
Asteroid

I contacted Samsung customer support 800 # with no resolution. They claim to be unaware of an issue even though multiple reports on their site and others. They offered to have me send it into them for diagnostics or return to retailer. Im considering buying the t380 model but its nearly double price.

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Unfortunately, we are unable to speculate about future firmware/software updates. Please stay tuned to the page, and we will post publicly when this becomes available. I apologize for any inconveniences. Thanks!

Highlighted
Asteroid

Come on Samsung. There's obviously a problem with this device, so let's have some real answers..