JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Galaxy Tab A8 slow/inconsistent Wifi

(Topic created: 12-03-2022 10:37 AM)
Max00
Astronaut
Options
Tablets

I have been trying to troubleshoot this slow/inconsistent internet issue on my brand new Galaxy Tab A8 (new model "SM-X200") for the last week with no resolution. 

I have been running speed tests through google and ookla all day and have been getting download speeds anywhere from 0.48mbps up to 20mbps. Most of the tests resulted in a speed of 2mbps to 10mbps.

Meanwhile, I was also running speed tests in the same spot on my s21 phone and it was getting up to 50-100mbps.

Also, this is my 2nd galaxy tab a8 I’ve bought this month. I originally bought the 32gb (3gb ram) version and had horrendous wifi problems. The wifi would drop every couple of minutes, and most of the time I would have to restart the tablet to get it to connect again, only to have it drop a couple minutes later. It was so bad I couldn’t even complete simple internet browser searches (with no other windows or apps running). 

So I returned it and thought I would try the 64gb (4gb ram) version. It has been better, but there are still issues with the wifi disconnecting every couple hours (sometimes more often, sometimes less). 

All “fixes” I’ve tried related to wifi issues: 

• Updated to the most current software/security patches

• Reset the tablet

• Deleted system cache during system boot up

• Repeatedly toggled wifi off/on for 30+ sec when internet would drop

• Reset the router

• Forgot network > restarted tablet > joined network again.

• Changed “Mac Address Type” to “Mac Tablet” mode

• Ran it in static mode in IP settings

• Switched the DNS1 and DNS2 IP’s

• I’ve run the tablet in developer mode 

• Enabled wifi verbose logging

• Disabled wifi scan throttling

• Disabled wifi nearby scanning

• Factory reset

Nothing has seemed to help reduce how often the wifi disconnects, or help increase the speed of the internet. 

This seems to be an extremely common issue with Tab a8's in general, so I'm not sure how Samsung hasn't resolved it yet. When I called customer support, the Samsung Pro said if I had tried their common reset solutions without success, that I should just return it because it was faulty. But now the new one has the same issue, along with my fiance's A8 as well. So it's 3 for 3...

If anyone has anymore successful fixes that I don't have listed above, I would love to give them a try. Thanks!

12 Replies
duc900sp
Astronaut
Options
Tablets
I guess this is a workaround, but not completely acceptable because now all of our other devices have to be limited to using 2.4GHz.
0 Likes
Jonboy2
Astronaut
Options
Tablets

My router is set to have two separate bands with different names. Therefore you can select what band you want.

0 Likes
Max00
Astronaut
Options
Tablets
thanks for shedding some light!
0 Likes