userf1ud2TngFJ
Constellation

Re: Galaxy Tab S2 drains battery after recent update

Well done, worked for me!

Loobster
Constellation

@userHLdBe0K90r wrote:

wiping the cache partition does not delete your personal data.

1. Turn off the device.
  2. Press and hold the Volume Up key and the Home key, then press and hold the Power key.
  3. When the Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 logo screen displays, release all three keys, then press and quickly release the Power key
  4. 'Installing system update' will show for about 30 - 60 seconds, then a 'No command' Android will appear before showing the Android system recovery menu options.
  5. Press the Volume down key several times key to highlight 'wipe cache partition.'
  6. Press Power button to select.
  7. When the wipe is complete, 'Reboot system now' is highlighted.
  8. Press the Power key to restart the device.
  9. let idle 12 hours
  10. smile

I also had update and battery draining like 20% over night, under battery usage it said android was 17% and idle was 19% screen 11%,.. Since trying this wiping the system cache solution 7 hours ago , battery usage is a stright line on idle like it was new instead of a slow steady decline.. I really didnt have high hopes for this solution fixing battery life but it did, thank smart people. I share the word now for others who kinda got sad over this.

My wife and I both have Tab S2 8.0" (SM-T713) with Android 7.0. After the update two weeks ago, these tablets are both draining like crazy. It seems this is a known issue. Before the update, I could leave my tablet for a week without use and it would only drain 20 or 25%. Now it drains really quick and sometimes it would go from almost full to dead overnight.

Thanks for the above post. I have performed the procedure on both tablets. I will report back my results (maybe in about a week?) to reveal if the drain has stopped for our tablets.

userR5PeQ5nU8s
Astronaut

12-Apr-2019

I created an account here to also voice my concern that the Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 (SM-T713) battery life drains SIGNIFICANTLY when the tablet is idle after the Android Security Patch Level of January 1 2019 was pushed by Samsung to my device.

Performing the ''wipe cache partition" command did not resolve the issue on my device.

user1qiV3BVnd4
Asteroid

Try to disable Google Play (long click on the Google Play incon and select Disable) and see if it helps. It is just a alternative temporary solution I would say.

best

userJoYdUWuLOT
Constellation

I just bought a brand new SM-T713 a couple weeks ago. Serious battery drain issue. The funny thing is that it even drains while the tablet is turned off and off the charger. Someone in a forum said to open it up and solder the battery connector. They didn't explain in detail, but they were adamant that they were correct. Now I'm thinking they were right.

I charged from 0% to 100% with the tablet off (USB volts/amps meter said 4,280 mAh was exchanged). Then I unplugged it and let it sit for a while. When I went to pick it up 2-3 hours later, the area near the charge port was very warm... and the battery had drained itself down to 67%!

I've spoken with Samsung support... and all they could do was point me in the direction of an authorized service centre, which seem to only exist in larger cities. I think Samsung should meet me halfway and pay for my shipping to the nearest centre. Nope. All she could do was send me a link to where I can search by postal code. Here I'm thinking telling her the whole story is actually going to get me (or anyone) somewhere... fail

PHauchon
Constellation

@userJoYdUWuLOT wrote:

I just bought a brand new SM-T713 a couple weeks ago. Serious battery drain issue. The funny thing is that it even drains while the tablet is turned off and off the charger. Someone in a forum said to open it up and solder the battery connector. They didn't explain in detail, but they were adamant that they were correct. Now I'm thinking they were right.

I charged from 0% to 100% with the tablet off (USB volts/amps meter said 4,280 mAh was exchanged). Then I unplugged it and let it sit for a while. When I went to pick it up 2-3 hours later, the area near the charge port was very warm... and the battery had drained itself down to 67%!

I've spoken with Samsung support... and all they could do was point me in the direction of an authorized service centre, which seem to only exist in larger cities. I think Samsung should meet me halfway and pay for my shipping to the nearest centre. Nope. All she could do was send me a link to where I can search by postal code. Here I'm thinking telling her the whole story is actually going to get me (or anyone) somewhere... fail

As I already written in one of my posting earlier this year the only thing that. Samsung may understand is a law suit...if everybody is ready to go to this solution 

user9vymKAJOiW
Constellation

Add me to the list of people with battery issues after the Jan2019 security update. Battery now drains while sleeping.  I used to lose only 1% or 2% overnight now 30%.  Using same factory charger as before. NOTHING NEW OR WRONG OTHER THAN recent SYSTEM UPDATE.

So I'm trying all the usual play store settings, factory reset, wipe cache, wifi off while sleep etc but not expecting much clearly this is some firmware problem. 

Samsung trying to get me to buy a new tablet? It might work cuz this one is out of warranty now, but the new one won't be Samsung and neither will any other future device. 

No, I'm not going to send a private message to whatever moderator clearly can't help anyone else.

No, I won't be buying an expensive new charger there was nothing wrong with the old one, it's a battery drain issue.

user1qiV3BVnd4
Asteroid

Hiya,

1. try to disable Google Play Store.

2. Besides that also go to Settings/ Lock Screen and security/ Other security settings/ Device administrators/ .... when there disable "Find My Device". For this last little bugger I found out that if I restart my S2 tab it automatically activates again. So for every restart I need to deactivate it. I did not find a way yet to permanently disable Find My Device.

I believe is one of those two or both together.

best regards, D.

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

We appreciate the input Smiley Happy

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

user6cwyyA5xzb
Constellation

I have been experiencing the same issue after the Jan 2019 security update. Restarting and clearing cache didn't make a difference. After conducting some tests, I may have resolved the issue (at least for me). After I turned off WiFi, the battery drain issue seemed to go away. I then checked the settings related to WiFi background use (Settings, WiFi, Advanced, Keep WiFi on during sleep) which was set to "While charging". I changed it to "Never" and the battery drain issue stopped. I then changed the setting back to "While charging" and the problem has not returned.