cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Galaxy Tab S6 screen goes yellow

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Today I got my new Galaxy Tab S6. A gorgeous screen and love it a lot already. However, I have one problem. When I open reading apps like Kindle app or Kobo app or  Play Books the tint of the screen shifts automatically to yellow. Blue filter and night mode are both off. I tried switching off the adaptive brightness too but that didn't help.

My display mode is set on vivid and cool.

Is there any option in the settings that I need to turn off or on to stop the screen from going yellow when I open these reading apps?

Thank you

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Galaxy Tab S6 screen goes yellow

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Unfortunately the only solution I could find to avoid having this yellow tint when opening reading apps is to open any other app on it (multitasking) then make that app transparent and push it to the lower right or left of the screen, like hiding it completely.

That is the only method for now to retain the color of the screen if you are on vivid mode and want to use Kindle app, play book or Kobo apps. 

The other alternative is to put the display on natural mode if you can bear the dull colors.

Samsung should provide a custom display mode where adaptive display is off and vivid colors with white balance can be set by the user. I doubt this will happen though.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I hope someone can tell me if there is a solution.

Does that happen to you guys who own tab s6?

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I checked the one that we have here and checked Play Books with the Blue Light Filter and Night Mode turned off. I tried it in Natural as well as Vivid Cool.

As soon as you open the book, it does seem to soften the white, but nothing that I would describe as yellow. 

Do you have any 3rd party apps that can appear on top?

To check, please go to Settings>Apps

Tap on the 3 dots at the top right and select Special access

Tap on Appear on top

Then try disabling some of these apps to see if this alters your symptom. 

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello SamsungGill

Thank you for your reply.

On natural mode it does not happen or at least it is not visible.

Can you please try vivid mode with the bar fully moved to the left on cool?

This is the setting I'm using.

This happens on Kindle, Kobo and Playbook apps only. The shift in color occurs when you open these apps. If you want to see the shift in color in a more clear way try doing multitasking with one of these app. When one of these apps is open the shift in color happens but when you open another app with it (multitasking) the screen color does not change.

Try opening playbook alone then try opening both playbook with the gallery or calculator. You will clearly notice the difference if your display is set on vivid and full cool.

When the reading app is open alone there is a yellow tint on display

When the reading app is open along with another app (multitasking) the yellow tint does not happen.

Only the yellow tint is present with Kindle, Kobo and Playbook.

Other reading apps like Wattpad and Nook do not exhibit same behaviour

I checked the appear on top app and all are system apps, no third party app.

Could this be related to that vivid used to be called adaptive display which changes the display behaviour automatically?

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Can you please try vivid mode with the bar fully moved to the left on cool?

This is the setting that I was using and the only way to get a yellow display was to change the app settings. 

I couldn't find any other method to get it to re-create this.

If the software on the device is up to date, I doubt that it is something in the tablet's software causing this. 

I would check for any apps that could alter the look of your device such as launchers and lock screens as well.

If nothing else works, I would go to a local retailer with the Tab S6 to see if the issue can be re-created. 

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The issue is recreated everytime when the display is on vivid mode.

Vivid mode is the new adaptive display of Samsung and screen will change according to the app open. Although in this mode one can change the RGB and white balance but you actually do not have control over it as the system changes them according to the type of app which is open. This is not really good for me. So if an app is flagged in its programming as a reading app, Samsung's adaptive display (Vivid mode) can detect that and force its auto setting on it! I guess both Wattpad app and Nook app dont have the flag that they are reading apps when they were programmed hence they do not get that reading yellow tint.

On natural mode, this does not happen because color calibration in this mode is fixed and nothing changes. It is not an adaptive display like the vivid one.

I have a Galaxy S8 plus and I noticed the same thing is there but very faintly. Why it is more clear on the Tab S6? Because this tab can get a lot bluer than the S8. That is why it is a lot more noticeable. 

This is what Display mate has reported about the vivid mode on the s10 which could be similar to this tablet:

"Vivid Screen Mode with the Largest Color Gamut
The Vivid mode has the Wide Native OLED Color Gamut. It provides significantly higher Color Saturation, with a large 1 42 percent of the Standard sRGB / Rec.709 Color Gamut and 1 13 percent of the Standard DCl-P3 Color Gamut, the highest that we have ever measured for Smartphones and Tablets. The Vivid mode also provides real-time Adaptive processing that can dynamically adjust images and videos. For some applications it will vary the White Point, Color "

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Please check the settings in the apps themselves.

I'm not sure where the settings are for the other apps.

In Play Books, open a book and tap the center of the screen.

Then tap on the "Aa" icon then Tone and you can adjust what color the pages are. 

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I checked all the settings in the three apps. They have nothing to help.

Yes I'm aware about the night light in Playbook and that is off already. When this is on it makes the display go orange and remains even after exiting Playbook.

The tint shift I'm seeing only happens when these apps are open in full mode. The moment I exit them screen goes back to normal.

I appreciate it if you check that when your display is set on vivid with the bar is totally on the cool side.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Unfortunately the only solution I could find to avoid having this yellow tint when opening reading apps is to open any other app on it (multitasking) then make that app transparent and push it to the lower right or left of the screen, like hiding it completely.

That is the only method for now to retain the color of the screen if you are on vivid mode and want to use Kindle app, play book or Kobo apps. 

The other alternative is to put the display on natural mode if you can bear the dull colors.

Samsung should provide a custom display mode where adaptive display is off and vivid colors with white balance can be set by the user. I doubt this will happen though.

View solution in original post

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Just wanted to add one more finding, that in DeX mode there will be no shifting in colors. When I open kindle and the other reading apps the color of the screen does not get to yellow like the tablet mode.