Original topic:

Galaxy Tab S7 2021 - Extremely Slow Internet

(Topic created: 03-11-2021 03:33 AM)
h1berto
Asteroid
Options
Tablets

I just bought the new Galaxy Tab S7, model SM-T870.

I have a Gigabit connetion at home, with Tp-Link Deco X20 (Wifi6) routers.

The maximum speed i'm getting in the Tab S7 is 50Mbps! This is the only device in my home doing this (pc's, tablets, phones (iphone and galaxy s9) all well above 300-400Mbps (they don't have Wifi6).

The strangest part is that in the WiFi settings of the connection itself, shows a network speed of 1.2Gbps.

I tried, restarting, re-adding the network and even formatting the Tab, nothing works.

Any help here, please?

32 Replies
userFAnQX3ntCc
Asteroid
Options
Tablets

OMG I thought I was the only one seeing this cause I couldn't find any solution. 

Recently got the Galaxy Tab 7+ and I notice I'm getting 10% of my actually speed on wifi when doing a speed test. Normally I get around 480mbps and doing a speed test and with the Galaxy Tab 7+ I get around 40-50mbps. Very rare will it ever hit above 400mbps. I tested with multiple wifi6 devices and it seems only the Tab7 performs the worst. I thought it was a bad wifi chip and tested another Tab 7+ brand new from box. The new Tab7+ performed the correct wifi6 speed, so I updated to Android 11 and OneUi 3.1. After the update, I started to see the wifi issue averaging around 40-50mbps. I also recalled my other Tab7 was performing well until the Android 11 update. This issue really needs to be addressed

Note:  I already troubleshoot my network and factory reset the tablet. Also I tested it standing next to my router.

(2x) Galaxy note 10 ~ 420-450mbps
(2x) Galaxy S21 Ultra ~ 420-450mbps
(2x) Galaxy Tab 7+ ~ 40-50mbps (very rare it will spike up to 400+)

h1berto
Asteroid
Options
Tablets

Mine came with OneUI 3.1 out of the box, so i never saw the difference.

So looks like a SW bug.

Whats the router brand?

0 Likes
userFAnQX3ntCc
Asteroid
Options
Tablets

I think the problem lies with the tablets not able to handle a Mesh Wifi6 network using one SSID (Router: TP-Link Deco X60) that is sharing a 2.4Ghz/5Ghz.  It's not distinguishing between the 2.4Ghz/5Ghz frequency even though the link speed says 1.2Gbps.

After doing some more investigation, it looks like Android 11 is the culprit of the problem.  I ended up downgrading my firmware to Android 10 and it looks like it fixed the situation.  It still has problems distinguishing between 2.4Ghz/5Ghz but it's not as frequent and normally turning the wifi on and off will fix it on Android 10.  With Android 11, it's a different story, it tends to be either stuck on 2.4Ghz but at the same time wifi speed is still below what it should be if on 5Ghz.

Here is a speed comparison (Note: Test were ran separately next to the main router) (2) Tab S7+

2.4Ghz/5Ghz - enabled

Speedtest1 

Here is a speed comparison with only turning 5Ghz on.  As you can see, there is still some driver issue on the Android 11 wifi Speed.

Speedtest2 

Here are the details of the tablets:

Android Version 

Networkspeed 

I'm hoping they can address this issue cause it seems to be some driver bug with the Wifi. I'm debating to return it since I'm still within the return window.

0 Likes
h1berto
Asteroid
Options
Tablets

You're right! I disabled the 2.4Ghz and speed climbed up to almost 300Mbps.

I cannot disable the frequency because i have many IoT devices that only work on this frequency.

Now the question is if this also happens with other brands of routers other than TPLink that support Mesh+Wifi6

This really looks like a driver problem.

0 Likes
userFAnQX3ntCc
Asteroid
Options
Tablets

Same here, I can't disable 2.4Ghz because I have a few IoT devices as well.  Bad thing about TP-Link router, we can't split the SSID either.  Even though yours did climb up to 300Mbps, it's still not hitting your ISP cap.  If you look at my Speedtest2 screenshot, the Android 10 is hitting my max internet speed vs the Android 11.

Edit: My Note10+ and S21Ultra are both on Android 11 and it works flawlessly.  I'm assuming other might run into the same issue with a Mesh Network but haven't notice it yet since Android 11 recently rolled out to Tab7.  Usually the average person doesn't bother to check their internet speed and if internet works for them it's fine but the power users tend to check and want the most out of their device.

0 Likes
userbcBNHH9SFw
Constellation
Options
Tablets

Mate, I realise this is beside the point of the discussion but please please tell me how you downgraded from android 11 back to 10 cause I got this tab s7 a week ago and 6 days I've tried various ways to go back to A10 with no success.  Tried samsungs smart switch doesn't have device initialization section anymore got an older version will close as soon as you try to connect to Internet.  Tried Odin with 4 different A10 firmware dates every time I get red errors on tablet in download mode when I try to flash. I would be eternally grateful if you could tell me how you did it. Cheers

0 Likes
h1berto
Asteroid
Options
Tablets

I have a Surface Pro 7 that can reach 800Mbps, so this is very frustrating ...(im actually thinking about returning the S7)

What can we do now?

0 Likes
userFAnQX3ntCc
Asteroid
Options
Tablets

I already sent a PM to one of the Mods (SamsungLou)

You other option is to downgrade to Android 10 and block updates and hopefully it will be addressed in the future.  I really like this device but getting slow wifi speed kind of defeats the purpose of having it.

0 Likes
h1berto
Asteroid
Options
Tablets

I actually bought it to replace an ipad pro 1st gen, and retry Android again...very frustrating.

I absolutely love the hw, even Android has been great, but like you said...beats the purpose of a Wifi6 device...

I wonder of this happens also with Asus routers...

0 Likes