Original topic:

Galaxy Tab S8+ 5G Can't make phone calls using SIM card

(Topic created: 11-08-2022 11:20 AM)
tkr876
Asteroid
Options
Tablets

I purchased a new Galaxy Tab S8+ 5G (T-Mobile) two weeks ago. I put a SIM card in and finished the setup process. When I try to make a phone call, a message shows up "Check your phone and this tablet to make sure Call & text on other devices is turned on". Samsung checked the tablet remotely and sent a replacement device. Same situation. Today I was told by Samsung that the tablet can't make regular phone calls using just the SIM card and that it needs to be connected to another device. The 5G/LTE capability is basically for data only. Are you serious?! All of my old Samsung tablets were able to make phone calls by just using the SIM card. That's a big step backwards and makes me think if I should switch to Apple, or at least to a Non-Samsung device. The information from Samsung reps (and TMO as well) were contradicting. So what is true? Can the Galaxy Tab S8+ make phone calls (without being connected to another phone) or not?

6 Replies
LongHiker
Epic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Tablets
SIM card service for tablets has always been data only. The only way to make calls is to have it paired with a mobile phone. The call is then routed using the phone's cellular connection.
0 Likes
tkr876
Asteroid
Options
Tablets
That's not correct. I've been using a Galaxy Tab S2 (9.7") for almost 2 years with the same SIM card and I can make and receive phone calls without problems. This old tablet doesn't even support the "Call and text on other devices" feature.
0 Likes
mdw22
Nebula
Options
Tablets
So the easiest way to fix the problem Download some phone app off app store Use calling over Wi-Fi
0 Likes
tkr876
Asteroid
Options
Tablets
Doesn't fix the problem, since the tablet is needed for work and the SIM card is the business phone number. It might be a workaround, but then you could just purchase the Wifi version of the tablet. I returned the tablet to Samsung and ordered the European model, had a friend test it and it works. No additional app or device needed, just make calls via SIM card and the native Android phone app. I don't understand why Samsung is doing this.
0 Likes
sameersaif
Astronaut
Options
Tablets
I activated my phone with a sim kit and I still don't have service. I did this last night. I have a Samsung Galaxy A10
0 Likes
Samsung_Moderator
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Tablets

Hello! Thank you for reaching out! I can definitely see how using your tablet for calls can be useful. As @LongHiker was saying this feature will only work when the phone and tablet are being paired. And both the tablet and the phone must be on the same wi-fi network. I would recommend using the link below to help get everything set up. If this is still not working you can also try getting a new sim card for your tablet

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00083152/

0 Likes