Original topic:

Internal Storage update prevents apps from easily accessing storage

(Topic created: 08-17-2021 07:23 PM)
userxFpZUaHtt8
Astronaut
Options
Tablets

Apps now require specific access to Files in internal storage; I can no longer just give my apps full access to all internal storage. I use this programming app called Acode, and before the latest update to internal storage, I could easily create / edit / delete any app in internal storage.

I am glad that Samsung is working on making internal storage more secure, but there is a better way to do it:

Apps should never be able to edit files / folders directly unless they created the files / folders. Files / folders created by an app are "owned" by the app, and other files / folders are "unowned".

• Owned files / folders can be edited / deleted by the owner app instantly
  • Unowned files / folders and files / folders owned by other apps will go to The Trash when deleted
  • Contents of unowned files / folders and files / folders owned by other apps will be archived (to The Archive) before being edited.
  • An app can read the archived and trashed versions of files that it owns.
  • An app can read any versions of files (that it owns) from the trash.
  • When an app edits a file it owns, the archived version of its file is immediately deleted.
  • When an app deleted a file it owns, any version of the file in the trash is immediately deleted.

The whole point owner apps, the archive, and the trash is to allow the user to revert unintended changes and undo changed done by other apps.

If a file has more than 1 version of itself in The Achive,or an app has been excessively overwriting existing files that it doesn't own, then the user should be informed when they try to use the file again.

The Archive could be added to the Files Manager app, right next to the trash, with various options for reverting files, adding new owners to files, and removing owner from files. There could even be a list of which apps have been editing files, and buttons next to the apps: [ Revert editsAccept edits, Permission ]
The revert edits button would have an option to undo everything the app has done. The accept edits button would remove the archived versions of files overwrited by the app. The permission button would open the apps permissions list, allowing you to remove access to interanl storage.

0 Likes
1 Reply
TheGalaxy
Neutron Star
Options
Tablets
I think your complain is the concern of Google and not Samsung
0 Likes