Original topic:

Is my Galaxy Tab S2 now obsolete?

(Topic created: 02-05-2021 02:25 PM)
userL4EucJqml0
Astronaut
Options
Tablets

Hi,  I have a Galaxy Tab S2 (SM-T810).  Admittedly it is a little old and I have noticed that it has Android 7.0 installed.  Is the fact that I no longer receive Android updates because my tablet is now obsolete?  Patch level is 1 June 2018.  How long does Samsung tend to update the Android operating system for?  Thanks.

6 Replies
Patriot1776JG
Supernova
Options
Tablets
3 yrs I believe. And not to be mean, but Galaxy Tab 2 old just a little LOL 🤣
0 Likes
Jon6er
Constellation
Options
Tablets

If they weren't so overpriced we could afford to upgrade very three years, lol. Before long mine will just be a display for my security system.

TomKatishere
Constellation
Options
Tablets
I also have a Galaxy Tab S2 with Android 7. It was bought new in 2017 as a backup for another S2. Just recently started using it. Am having problems because updates are nolonger provided by Samsung. Many apps won't install or run without Android 7 being updated. Many people don't want to upgrade when their Samsung product is in excellent working condition. Many can't afford to upgrade every three years. With not updating the Android operating system, Samsung is putting profit above customer's needs. I love Samsung products but in my opinion for the company to intentionally make products obsolete after three years is unethical. Is losing customer loyalty to the brand costing Samsung more in the long term?
Blueyedlady
Astronaut
Options
Tablets
I agree with you totally. I can't afford a tablet every 3 years, either.
warpaint13
Constellation
Options
Tablets
I too have a Galaxy Tap S2 and would like to see Samsung offer updates for this model.
UFOClearance
Constellation
Options
Tablets
Tab S2 8" was like the last great non-Apple 8 inch tablet. SuperAMOLED high resolution screen and paper thin compared to the TFT-LCD backlit 2020 Tab A 8.4. The screen on the Tab S2 has better contrast due to the OLED panel. Really unfortunate that there are few options to update past Android 7. XDA-Dev being one but not without it's buggyness.