cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

Is my Tab S3 dead?

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have a SM-T827V which has been working great, up until last night. At that time I pulled it out and opened the magnetic cover which normally wakes the screen. This time, nothing. I thought maybe the unit had turned off for some reason or hadn't been properly connected to the charger so the battery had died, so I held the power button to turn it on. The tablet vibrated and the "Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 powered by Android" screen appeared and sat for what seemed like at least a minute or two. At that point the device went black, vibrated again, and the same screen appeared. It kept doing this in a cycle, endlessly.

After a little online searching it seems that this is not a completely unusual problem with the Tab S3 and the recommended solution is to reflash the firmware. So I downloaded Odin 3.14.4 and the most recent Android 9 firmware from Sammobile.com, installed the Samsung USB drivers and put the device into Odin mode. Following provided instructions I ran Odin, selected the firmware files in the appropriate places (I used HOME_CSC rather than just plain CSC as I was hoping to retain my settings and apps) clicked Start and Odin went to work. It ran through some text output and ended with "<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 1 / failed 0)" and the tablet rebooted. It vibrated and came up with a black screen with "Recovery booting...." in blue lettering at the top. Progress! Except now it just boot loops to that screen instead of the Samsung logo one.

I tried re-flashing with CSC instead of HOME_CSC. Same results. Tried booting with the SIM and SD cards removed. Same results. Tried re-flashing with the SIM and SD card removed. Same results. So, is there something else I can try or am I just completely out of luck?

Thanks in advance!

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Is my Tab S3 dead?

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I recommend letting a service technician have a look. Send your full model code and serial number via private message to get started.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Do you happen to know the procedure, or where I'd find it?

Highlighted
Constellation

Re: Re: Is my Tab S3 dead?

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Seems you need to get further than the "recovery booting" screen to do a hard reset which my device is not doing.  Thanks anyway.

Highlighted
Constellation

Re: Re: Re: Is my Tab S3 dead?

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I can't even get to the screen which would give me the option of a hard reset.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Yes, I've done that.  All I get is the "recovery booting" message and then it reboots, goes to "recovery loading" then reboots, "recovery loading", reboot, etc.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Anyone? This tablet is just over two years old and I'm not really in a position to replace it so I'd really like to get it working.

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I recommend letting a service technician have a look. Send your full model code and serial number via private message to get started.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

View solution in original post