cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hicountryrider
Asteroid

New Galaxy Tab A 8.0. Apps updates - are they necessary?

JUMP TO SOLUTION

First time tablet owner and Android newbie.

I've had my Galaxy Tab A 8.0 about one month now and I'm slowly getting the hang of using it and how to navigate Android. Android version is 6.01. After using it for a week I found that all of the pre-installed apps auto-updated. My internal storage usage went from 38% to 53%. I subsequently turned off the auto-update feature. I am now receiving notifications when new app updates are available.

I know I can manually update those apps (14 notifications as of today) but I'm concerned that updating apps as they become available will reduce my internal storage further and eventually leave me no room whatsoever to update current apps or install new ones. As of now I have a total of 32 pre-installed apps and 4 small apps I have installed. I have moved all of the apps I have installed  to the SD card I installed. All of the pictures I'm taking or video I'm experimenting with are either set to save to the SD card, as are music or documents, or I manually move them there. There are no photos, videos, music, documents, etc. saved or on the internal storage.

Is there anything I can do, other than not installing app updates, to reduce the amount of internal storage used by updating? Also, is it necessary to install updates to apps I never or rarely use? Tab A 8.0 only came with 16 GB of internal storage and I'm using it up pretty quickly.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: New Galaxy Tab A 8.0. Apps updates - are they necessary?

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I mean really, you don't "need" to update any app until you start having issues with it. But this statement is very very general. Not updating an application could cause issues with the app or apps that are associated with the app. Also in most cases, when an app updates it is replacing firmware and such. This is why most of the time, you can't go back in firmware versions. Sorry I do not have a clear yes or no, it depends on each app. 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

2 REPLIES 2
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I mean really, you don't "need" to update any app until you start having issues with it. But this statement is very very general. Not updating an application could cause issues with the app or apps that are associated with the app. Also in most cases, when an app updates it is replacing firmware and such. This is why most of the time, you can't go back in firmware versions. Sorry I do not have a clear yes or no, it depends on each app. 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Highlighted
Hicountryrider
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thanks for the reply. I guess what I'll have to do is monitor the apps and update only those that I use if necessary. I'm also going to go through the list of updated pre-installed apps and uninstall the updates, if allowed, to those that I will never use. Hopefully that will regain some of the lost internal space. Photos and videos are already setup to save to the SD card so at least they won't eat up internal storage.

I don't forsee a major problem with storage space, outside of the constant app updating, as I probably won't be adding a ton of new apps.  Getting the Tab A 8.0 is sort of an experiment with tablet use for me and I suppose if I decide to go hog wild with apps I will need to upgrade to a larger internal storage capacity tablet.