JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

New Tab A 8inch SM-T290 Cannot move apps to SD card

(Topic created: 01-14-2021 07:36 AM)
userIv6GHwN99R
Constellation
Options
Tablets

I have a brand new Tab A 8inch.   I am very familiar with Samsung since I have phone and 10 inch tablet.   I have bought a 64Gb micro SD card.   It is seen by the tablet.   However I am unable to move apps to the card.   I looked at an app that shows as moveable on my phone but on the tablet there is no option under storage to move to external storage

The tablet has Android 9

Is there something that has to be done to enable moving apps to the sd card?

60 Replies
Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
Tablets

The apps will be different for the phone and tablet. The app developers will have to provide allowances for their tablet version to run from the SD card.

0 Likes
userIv6GHwN99R
Constellation
Options
Tablets

I am afraid that is not the case.   I have an app that I have installed also onto a 10 inch Tab A (SM-T580) but running Android 8.1.0.   When I go settings/apps/x/storage I get the same as on my phone.  The storage is shown as internal and there is a dialogue box that is labelled "change".   So this app can be moved to external storage on my phone and my 10inch tablet.   Why not on the 8inch tablet running Android 9?

userL4wzh8uW84
Constellation
Options
Tablets

I have the same exact issue with the same brand new Galaxy Tab A 8 in. tablet that was bought with a 32gb external sd card on Android 9. No options on any of the apps downloaded to move to external sd card. Many of the downloaded apps should be transferable to the external sd card as they are on other Samsung tablets but not on the sm-t290 that I bought. Only option for  external sd card is the photos and videos via the default camera app. Something seems off with this specific model and/or combination with Android 9 that hopefully Samsung can provide an update for.

userF1BSqOSyyG
Astronaut
Options
Tablets

Also Have this issue. I bought this tablet specifically so my kid could load it up with games since her kindle kids edition was having issues playing games and this will not let me move any app to sdcard. Even with developer options enabled and the option to force allow them. No apps at all will allow this and this is a big problem for me. It must be a newer update that disabled it because there are youtube videos of people doing it with previous software versions of this same tablet. Please fix immediately.

userrR186X02II
Astronaut
Options
Tablets

Also have this issue. Waiting for Samsung answer this problem.

userl0F6IjvdCp
Astronaut
Options
Tablets

Hello.  This not a solution.  It's  simply not true. The look of android is different with less options. And this seems to be a well known issue now.  Can please update on the  progress?

userURmeL6E1qb
Astronaut
Options
Tablets

I am somewhat bewildered by the response being classified as a solution, it is a statement and is misleading, as opposed to being helpful, suggesting that certain apps may be transferred when in reality it appears that the OS has removed that option.

My family and I make extensive usage of Samsung products and I have have not had any complaints until now.  The purpose of buying an Android is to allow for extendable memory coupled with the sale of devices carrying lower internal memory.  To provide for sale a tablet that does not allow for the usage of external memory is outside the market expectation and seriously undermines the product and goodwill Samsung enjoy. 

This information was not available to consumers prior to purchase and this is echoed by the response which is a misrepresetnation of the facts.  I suspect no satisfactory response will be provided and no changes to the OS will be made.  If this information had been available I would have chosen a more expensive Samsung product which allowed for the expansion of internal storage for things other than pictures, I mean seriously who uses their tablet to take pictures that would warrant an external memory card!!!

Mine and my families business will be placed with a competitor for the multiple Samsung products in future and whilst I have always recommended Samsung to friends and family that viewpoint has changed where it will be a cautionary tale of purchasing any product from Samsung

user5XyfVJzL6y
Astronaut
Options
Tablets

Is not the app developer, is samsung who should let users move the apps to their external sd cards, samsung is the one stopping users to move the apps, come on...

32 gb is useless, and the you advertise that the tables can be expanded to 512 gb , and you cant move anything to the external sd cards. Misleading and very frustrating to have an option that is a complete lie.

Joe Pardo

joepardo28@hotmail.com

userhchGc4M0Rs
Constellation
Options
Tablets

Same problem,  anybody figure this out?