cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

OTG USB host mode + charging

Hey there,

I would like to control a USB device with a Samsung tablet and still be able to charge this tablet. The device connected in USB to my tablet has it’s own power supply.

The problem with OTG mode in this configuration is that it’s not possible to charge the USB host (my tablet). My tablet supplies power to the device but cannot be charged.

However, I saw on many forums and videos on youtube that charging the USB host (my tablet) on OTG mode is possible by shorting pin 4 and 5 (ID to GND) with a 100k resistor on the USB cable to make the tablet understand that it’s on USB host mode but still has to charge itself.

Here is an example of what I’m meaning :

https://blog.workshoptwelve.com/2019/01/04/otg-usb-charge-hub

Can you tell me if this is exact or not?

Thank you for your answer.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Supernova

Re: OTG USB host mode + charging

Hey there! @userreCzaEGwOq 

I'd be afraid of this solution hurting my tablet. 

Is there a reason this is a *must* for you? Knowing that might help with feedback here.

---

Did this reply help? Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution"  if you found this reply solved your issue or pointed you in the right direction. You can also click the heart to let me know your appreciation! 
Highlighted
Constellation

Hello! @JohnLoose 

I would like to control a small and simple cutting machine by USB.

The main reason is I can use this tablet as a cheap controller and keep the machine small by having an external device and still having a big screen.

I tried to connect my Galaxy Tab A 10.1" to a Lenovo docking station (for a Lenovo laptop)  and it was possible to charge it and use a keyboard.

I can therefore suppose that this feature should be possible.

I will make some testings and keep you up to date.

Regards

Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

It is absolutely possible with an inexpensive hub.  With this hub for instance, I can charge, read SD cards, connect two Type A USB connections including a Logictec Universal USB receiver so that I can use a keyboard, HDMI and Ethernet.

usbcharge.jpg

Here's an example from Amazon