Original topic:

S Pen Implementation Needs Work

(Topic created: 05-14-2024 02:50 PM)
Dog_Lap
Asteroid
Options
Tablets
Listen Samsung... your S Pen implementation needs work... especially now with the new Apple Pencil competition.

I have a brand new Galaxy Tab S9... it is excellent, and I love it. However, the S Pen implementation is frankly kind of poor. For starters my "cursor" (for lack of better word) is about 1-2mm offset from the point of impact with the stylus nib and the screen making drawing difficult (this is without a case, no screen protector installed and no magnets nearby). 

And unfortunately Samsung has not provided a proper S Pen calibration utility as part of the firmware (I know there are several wacom layer testing utilities, but there is not a calibration utility in order to fix this issue... the only "fix" is to replace the unit entirely, which is insane because this can be easily fixed with a calibration).

Also Wacom EMR has supported stylus barrel rotation for basically forever, and yet for whatever reason Samsung has not implemented this feature in their S Pen firmware implementation... Apps like Infinite Painter support this function on many of the default brushes, but it simply does not work on Samsung S Pen enabled devices for some reason. Samsung needs to add this feature immediately to compete with the new Apple Pencil features.

So Samsung, if you are listening, please add these 2 features to your software suite post haste (or this will be my last Galaxy Tab purchase)

1. Full S Pen Calibration Utility

2. Full support of all Wacom EMR functions including barrel rotation

Thank you
6 Replies
MeNotYou84
Cosmic Ray
Options
Tablets
There is a touchscreen calibration on the phones via *#2663#
Not sure how to get to that on the tablet. There are 3rd party apps as well. Run the calibration for the screen using the pen.

Then you can use pentastic in the good lock app in the galaxy app store to fully customize your pen.. that is an app made by samsung
0 Likes
Dog_Lap
Asteroid
Options
Tablets
This is the testing utility i spoke of in my original post... it is not a calibration utility, it does not calibrate the s pen, it simply tests it. I have run through this utility multiple times and it has made exactly 0 change to the pen calibration.
Dog_Lap
Asteroid
Options
Tablets
I just installed pentastic as well... there is no calibration utility there either so i am not sure what you are talking about... have you ever used a wacom emr based display tablet on windows? These come with a calibration function where it displays circles in various places across the screen that you tap with your pen, then it translates the expected point of impact with the measured point of impact and then compensates in order to bring the expected and measured values in line with eachother. This is NOT the same thing as the s pen test utility with all the little boxes in an X pattern that turn green as you tap them, all that does is test the s pen, it doesnt calibrate anything at all.
Dog_Lap
Asteroid
Options
Tablets
This is a test utility not a calibration utility... I have done it multiple times as well as updated the wacom firmware and the pen is still completely uncalibrated... we need a proper calibration function just like with a wacom display tablet, this keeps this device from being a professional tool and instead makes it at best a toy.IMG_2196_1000006088_1715726041.jpg
Dog_Lap
Asteroid
Options
Tablets
Theres also this testing utility which also does NOT in any way calibrate the s penIMG_2198_1000006089_1715727047.jpg
0 Likes
Dog_Lap
Asteroid
Options
Tablets
And then the wacom firmware update and TSP firmware update also does not in any way whatsoever affect s pen calibration... i have done all these things many times and the pen remains uncalibrated... i stand by my assertion that we need a proper wacom calibration utility (as well as having all of the wacom emr features enabled at the firmware level like barrel rotation which is supported by the technology but not currently implemented by samsung)IMG_2199_1000006090_1715727150.jpg
0 Likes