cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

SAMSUNG galaxy tab A won't start

JUMP TO SOLUTION

My tablet is fully charged.   Tried to turn on but the start up screen is frozen.  Tried holding the on and volume button down at the same time but it just turns the start up screen off and on again.    Any suggestions?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Product Expert

Re: SAMSUNG galaxy tab A won't start

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi

I’m truly sorry for your inconvenience it seems that you in fact will need to replace your OS . It is unusual that the device is not going into recovery mode. Make sure you are doing the process correctly.

In order to boot up into recovery mode the device has to be turned off. Since you don’t have access to the passcode that’s not an option. Here is what I’ve done in this situation.

1. Hold down the Power+ Volume down key.
  2. Once the device powers down and the screen is black switch your finger from the volume down key to the volume up key without taking your finger off of the power button.

*you have to do this step quickly because it is a brief period before the device re boots back to the lock screen*

1. Keep your Finger held down on the volume up key while the screen is black and even once the Samsung logo appears keep both the Power+ Volume Up keys pressed down. This should bring you into Recovery Mode.

*It’s a little difficult to do may take a few tries but it does work I’ve done this a few times on both mobile phones and tablets*

1. Once the Recovery Screen is displayed on the device you will navigate down the menu using the volume down key and selecting Factory Wipe using the power button.
  2. Once the Factory wipe is completed navigate back up the menu using the volume up key and select reboot using the power button.

This will bring you back to the initial set up screen. If you know your google account password and gmail you should have no problems.

I hope this information helps you with your situation.

If none of this helps your situation you will have to bring it to a Samsung certified location for servicing.

*Be sure to like or click " Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Product Expert

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi @user2q9WQVoOIl 

Sorry to hear your tablet won't start up properly are these the steps you tried when trying to hard reset?

1. With the device off, press and hold the “Volume Up“, “Home“, and “Power” buttons.
  2. Release the buttons when you see the recovery screen and the Samsung logo.
  3. Use the volume buttons to navigate the menu and select “wipe data / factory reset“. ...
  4. On the next screen, press “Volume Up” to continue.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Highlighted
Product Expert

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello @user2q9WQVoOIl ,

Have you tried putting the tablet on "Safe Mode" where the tablet temporarily blocks any 3rd party applications to see if it's a software issue? To put it in Safe mode all you have to do is hold the "volume down" button while the tabelt is trying to turn on.

If it's still stuck in on the start up screen, you may need to perform a factory data reset which is holding "Volume up, Home Button and Power Button" for about 7 seconds and then scrolling down to "Factory Data Reset" and clicking on it.

If you don't want to try the reset, then you can also visit one of our authorized samsung repair locations when they open up again where they can perform a "Software Recovery" which has the chance of fixing your start up screen issue without erasing the information.

Heres the link to find the nearest one to you.

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/service/locations/

Best,

Jayhon

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Highlighted
Product Expert

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi

I’m truly sorry for your inconvenience it seems that you in fact will need to replace your OS . It is unusual that the device is not going into recovery mode. Make sure you are doing the process correctly.

In order to boot up into recovery mode the device has to be turned off. Since you don’t have access to the passcode that’s not an option. Here is what I’ve done in this situation.

2. Once the device powers down and the screen is black switch your finger from the volume down key to the volume up key without taking your finger off of the power button.

*you have to do this step quickly because it is a brief period before the device re boots back to the lock screen*

1. Keep your Finger held down on the volume up key while the screen is black and even once the Samsung logo appears keep both the Power+ Volume Up keys pressed down. This should bring you into Recovery Mode.

*It’s a little difficult to do may take a few tries but it does work I’ve done this a few times on both mobile phones and tablets*

1. Once the Recovery Screen is displayed on the device you will navigate down the menu using the volume down key and selecting Factory Wipe using the power button.
  2. Once the Factory wipe is completed navigate back up the menu using the volume up key and select reboot using the power button.

This will bring you back to the initial set up screen. If you know your google account password and gmail you should have no problems.

If none of this helps your situation you will have to bring it to a Samsung certified location for servicing.

*Be sure to like or click " Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thank you so much!  I can't believe this solution worked.  So very happy!

@AtibaW wrote:

Hi

Highlighted
Product Expert

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello, I'm Damian a Samsung Expert and user as well.

I'm happy to assist you!

In this case your best option would be to contact samsung directly as their are no service center that will physically service the tablets onsite these items are usually shipped out for further inspection down below i have attached a link

For shipping repair, you need to call Samsung, the hotline is indicated in this link: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/contact/