Original topic:

SD storage for Galaxy Tab A8 SX200

(Topic created: 03-04-2022 11:33 AM)
Katty-Didd
Constellation
Options
Tablets

I have a Tab A8 (SX200) 2022 release.  It only has 32gb storage but can accommodate up to 1tb SD card.  I bought a SAMSUNG 128gb SD card, installed it, formatted it.  It shows when I bring up storage, internal, swipe left SD storage.  So, it is formatted and installed properly.  However, when I download any games from Google Play or take photos it doesn't allow me to store them on the SD card.  It also doesn't allow me to "move to SD" anything, the option isn't there.  

I have seen in other posts that it is an Android problem, I have an Android phone and other Android tablets and have no problems whatsoever with setting up the SD card as extra storage.   

What am I doing wrong? 

4 Replies
tverasonrd
Astronaut
Options
Tablets
I don't see that you received an answer to this question. I have the same problem with a Galaxy Tab A7. I installed and formatted a 500GB SD card, and I can't figure out how to get anything onto it. Am following your question in hopes someone answers it.
0 Likes
Katty-Didd
Constellation
Options
Tablets

I haven't received an answer yet, but I have been doing some playing around.  Found out a couple things on my own.  Not sure if they are pertinent but is what is happening on my tablet.  

First off I read in a different comment that the preloaded apps that come with the tablet cannot be switched to the SD card.  

Second I have a Motorola phone with 256gb storage so it doesn't have/need an option for an SD card.  I do have apps on it that I transferred to my tablet when I bought it.  It seems those apps also can not be transferred to the SD card.  However any NEW apps that I download can be transferred to the SD card.  

I just went through ALL my apps and went one by one and transferred what I could to the SD card.  Go to settings, go to apps, pick which ever app you want to transfer , when that opens you have to scroll down to usage, then storage.  If you are able to transfer that app it will say Storage used and under it says Change".  If you don't have that it's an app you can't move to SD

I hope that helps you some.

0 Likes
tverasonrd
Astronaut
Options
Tablets
Thank you. I'll go through my apps and see what I can transfer to the SD card. I also switched to google photos instead of having them on the tablet. That freed up a bit of space.
Thank you for your insight - I appreciate it!
0 Likes
Caoimhín
Astronaut
Options
Tablets
It's called "ADOPTED STORAGE" or something like that. It has been a feature of Android since version 6. However, I found out after the fact, just like the OP that Samsung has disabled this feature from the get go. I had just bought an A53 5G phone on the assumption I could do this, since it only came in the 128GB version here in the USA. But after wracking my brain and searching all over the internet, I finally found many, many other people complaining of the same thing, all the way back to 2015. Samsung needs to get over itself and just let people choose if they want to use this feature. They claim they don't because the tablet or phone would take a performance hit. That might have been true in 2015, but microSD cards in 2022 have gotten FAST! And if you get an A1 or A2 card, the speed is barely noticeable. I too have the Galaxy Tab A8 but I got it in 128GB configuration. The 32GB version has laughable storage in this day and age. Really, no one should even be making anything smaller than 128GB, that includes Apple! And to add insult to injury, Samsung won't, and yes, that's the operable word, won't enable a feature that has been around since Android 6. So, OP, you aren't doing anything wrong. Samsung is making decisions for you. Samsung, if you are listening, microSD technology has come a LONG way since 2015! Enable Adoptive Storage. If you had, I would have kept the A53 5G.
0 Likes