cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mickles
Asteroid

Samsung S2 not showing display or display is grey.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Well over a year ago my S2 started either not showing any display, or I would see a greeny grey screen that looked weird, although after many presses of the power button would finally show the correct screen, until the next time it went to sleep.

I read another article on this forum where the poster had the same problem and somebody had suggested it was due to auto brightness.

This did not resolve my issue however and I lived for almost a year with this problem. 

Then it stopped, I didn't understand why but was happy it did. The interesting thing is that it has just started again two days ago. This was also the time we have had rain after 5 months of drought. 

So, co-incidence? Maybe! It seems to have reappeared as the humidity has now moved over 80%. My wife mentioned that she had a similar problem with her Samsung phone until she removed it from its case.  My S2 was also in a protective case and I have now removed it. The display is still a problem just now but tonight, I'm going to pop the S2 in a zip lock bag with some dry rice to remove any moisture from the device.

Note that in my text which I noted as a solution, I did not open the S2, just removed it from the third party case so I could access both the screen and the back cover. 

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mickles
Asteroid

Re: Samsung S2 not showing display or display is grey.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Ok, I think I have fixed it. Looking at a video of the screen being replaced I noticed a ribbon cable that plugs into the screen side and then into the motherboard. I wondered if I was looking at heat creep and that one or both connectors were not firmly seated. Removed the case and firmly (but carefully) pressed all around the edges of the S2 supporting the opposite side to where I was pressing with my fingers. I did this both back and front just to make sure but the connector areas are left hand side of the screen and right hand next to the camera. Note the picture shows the back of the screen on the left and the main device on the right. 

Both buttons now turn on the display confidently and I'm happy not to be pressing the button 20 times to get a screen up Smiley Happy 

1. S2 Screen.jpg

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Samsung Care Ambassador

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Interesting, please keep us informed as to what you discover once you dry out the tablet.  I personally wouldn't think that humidity at 80% would cause that problem....it hits that where I live often during the summer.

If drying it out does seem to work then maybe try some tape over the exposed port openings and see if that helps.

Mickles
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I think you are right, still have the problem. It must just be co-incidence that it went away for so long and started when the rain came back. I thought I had it pegged! Am trying some other fixes and will report back here. 

Mickles
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Well, here is an interesting tangent... I wondered if the rice had enough time to absorb moisture so put the tab on a small heat pad that I use for seedlings and left it for around 1 hour. The tab was warm but not hot and the screen turned on as soon as the button was pressed and numerous times after that whilst testing. So, is it a moisture related thing or perhaps dry solder joint. The fact that for the last few months the tab display operated normally even when booting from cold is still hinting at moisture. 15753390167041583301221.jpgHeat Mat

Mickles
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

And still seems to be behaving itself. Overnight I'll place it in a zip lock bag until morning to lock out any humidity and fire up from cold. Will report back.

Anyone interested in where I obtained the heat mat, I bought it from www.aliexpress.com

They are quite inexpensive and there are many different sizes. I used the small version but a larger version would have been more suitable I think. 

Mickles
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Ok, I think I have fixed it. Looking at a video of the screen being replaced I noticed a ribbon cable that plugs into the screen side and then into the motherboard. I wondered if I was looking at heat creep and that one or both connectors were not firmly seated. Removed the case and firmly (but carefully) pressed all around the edges of the S2 supporting the opposite side to where I was pressing with my fingers. I did this both back and front just to make sure but the connector areas are left hand side of the screen and right hand next to the camera. Note the picture shows the back of the screen on the left and the main device on the right. 

Both buttons now turn on the display confidently and I'm happy not to be pressing the button 20 times to get a screen up Smiley Happy 

1. S2 Screen.jpg

View solution in original post

Mickles
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

In case it's confusing, I only removed it from my third party protective case and did not disassemble the S2 as in the photo. That was just where I identified the display ribbon cable connectors. 

Samsung Care Ambassador

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Great dective work!  Hopefully by pressing on the case you moved the connector just enough to make a good permanent connection again.  I actually had no idea that one could flex the case enough to do that.

Mickles
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Yes the case does have some flex to it and it seems that there has been enough to reseat the connectors. Day 2 and it is working perfectly. The fact that the problem went away as soon as I did this, ie: it was troublesome turning the display on just moments before I did this is telling. 

Samsung Care Ambassador

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Pretty satisfying isnt it   I too just fixed my snow blower today and saved about $300 Smiley Wink