JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

new galaxy TAB A7 10.4 Cannot Move APPA to SD card as in previous models

(Topic created: 12-03-2020 11:09 AM)
userExfk8vnFO7
Astronaut
Options
Tablets

BEWARE you cannot move any APPs over to the external SD card,  I have a 64GB internal which is large. If you get a smaller internal and download may APPs you coud be out of gas with nowhere to go. Samsung claims it is a copyright problem. However how come all of a sudden its a problem when previous models you could do that function. Possible it will be resolved and new firmware will change it ,In the meantime Samsung is using deceptive advertising stating you can use the external SD card

56 Replies
userwFOrCnC5B1
Astronaut
Options
Tablets

This isn't an option on a single app I've got. Seems the device just doesn't support moving apps to SD. Massive disappointment, no valid reason for it and it hugely limits the usability of the device. 

Members_WUPMWne
Astronaut
Options
Tablets

There is no "Storage" option in "Settings" except for the "Storage" under "Device care." When you select the "SD card" option there's no hamburger menu. The "Advanced" option only allows you to "Format" but not to "Format as internal." Really sad. This new tab is going back to the store for one that's a true Android.

userwJjoKGZrsY
Constellation
Options
Tablets

This option wasnt available to me. However, after rebooting my new tab I was able to go into specific applications and switch the storage location to the SD card.  It worked for Netflix, Amazon Prime Video and Spotify.  This option was not offered within the app for Xfinity Stream, HBO Max or Peacock.  Hopefully more developers will bring this feature online in the future.

0 Likes
userbNGfcn8S7Y
Astronaut
Options
Tablets

That doesn't work with the 10 inch 2020 tab A7.

@blkeyewrx wrote:

if you open "Settings", scroll down to "Apps", tap the app you'd like to move, then under the specific app options tap "Storage" and under "Storage used" tap "change" , it gives you the option to move the app to an SD card if you have one installed.

There are exceptions. If the app is preloaded or somehow registered to your Google or Samsung account , they don't allow you to move most of those apps. It's hit and miss but you can move some and of course it's a pain to move every app individually.

You can also go into "Settings" and "Storage" and select your SD card and tap the hamburger menu, and select "Settings" and "Format as internal", then "Erase and Format". your SD card will then be read as internal storage

0 Likes
userArUmHpdJ
Asteroid
Options
Tablets

this is kinda dumb, there's no reason why they should prevent you from using that SD CARD SLOT to put your apps on,... should be up to the cosumer... my niece got this for christmas, it's a decent tablet, but what puts me off is not allowed you to use your SD card properly... theres no reason why samsung should stop this!

userEsO4qv6LwI
Constellation
Options
Tablets

Hello, 

This is not an accurate solution, because the option "format as internal storage" does not appear for this tab. How could we extend the memory then? 

userO3pvhNcpic
Asteroid
Options
Tablets

Nope. Don't know if that was possible in October or not when you wrote that, but you cannot do that on the Samsung Tab A7 as of January 2021. Even if you "unmount it", the option to "erase and format" never shows up.

0 Likes
userj8K9lGQPlh
Constellation
Options
Tablets

@blkeyewrx This is INCORRECT. I just purchased this tablet based on your incorrect information. Not happy about this at all. You cannot "format as internal", the option is just not there.

@samsung978531 You need to do something about this issue. How are you selling a tablet in 2021 with only 32GB storage which isn't actually expandable for the purpose of installing apps? This is very unreasonable and I'm not happy.

userj8K9lGQPlh
Constellation
Options
Tablets

@blkeyewrx You should edit your post and say that it does not work because it is misleading and quite frankly I'm very angry at you because I just spent £200 on something that doesn't work because of you.

0 Likes
blkeyewrx
Asteroid
Options
Tablets
I'm hoping some future updates solve the issue, but if Samsung benefits from the current configuration I have my doubts. Hopefully they'll have a change of heart when they see a decline in sales attributed to this