Smart Switch won't start, side-by-side configuration problem?

SOLVED
Asteroid

Smart Switch won't start, side-by-side configuration problem?

I'm trying to use Samsung Smart Switch, and have downloaded the PC version to my Windows 10 Pro PC. When I try to start the .exe file, I get a Windows error:

"The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail"

I've looked for information about this on the internet, and what I find is that this is generally caused by not having the right version of the Microsoft Visual C++ redistributable package installed on one's computer. This isn't inconceivable for me, since I just had to re-install my Windows 10 system today due to an obscure problem.

By the way, I ran "sfc /scannow", and that was just fine (as it should be for a new install *smile*).

So what I'm trying to find out is what version of the Microsoft Visual C++ redistributable package is needed for the latest version of Smart Switch? I have the 2013 version for x86 and x64 installed, and these are apparently aren't the ones that Smart Switch needs.

Any help from anyone that can run Smart Switch on their system, and can look in "Programs and Features" and see what versions of Microsoft Visual C++ redistributable packages are installed? This is particularly frustrating since it ran just fine before I re-installed my desktop today.

Thanks very much!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Asteroid
Solution
Accepted by topic author usery2QGx16RcF
‎12-17-2016 12:52 AM

Re: Smart Switch won't start, side-by-side configuration problem?

Okay, I installed something else that pulled in the 2008 Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable package, and now everything's hunky-dory. So that's the final answer, Smart Switch requires some old stuff *smile*.

64 REPLIES
Asteroid
Solution
Accepted by topic author usery2QGx16RcF
‎12-17-2016 12:52 AM

Okay, I installed something else that pulled in the 2008 Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable package, and now everything's hunky-dory. So that's the final answer, Smart Switch requires some old stuff *smile*.

Astronaut

Hi,

You mentioning that you installed something. May I know what was that thing? I'm expricing same issue...

Astronaut

Find it,

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86)

need to be installed.

Astronaut

Fantastic advice has resolved my issue.

Many thanks

Astronaut

I WILL TRY IT, THANKS FOR LETTING US KNOW.

Constellation

What if we're on a 64 bit machine?

Asteroid

usernZssfra0WD wrote:

What if we're on a 64 bit machine?

Well, what if? I'm on a 64-bit machine, and this worked for me.

Most desktops and laptop computers are 64-bit these days.

Good luck!

Astronaut

Thanks for the tip. It also saved me ! RGS

Constellation

Resolved my problem