Original topic:

Tab 8 Ultra with physical keyboard lacks spelling and grammer checking.

(Topic created: 04-21-2022 12:42 AM)
Options
Tablets
Hello,

My Samsung Tab 8 Ultra with the $350 keyboard doesn't have spell checking, prediction, or grammer checking. What's up? Tips say with the keyboard you get this stuff. I'd especially expect it with a $350 keyboard.

How do I enable it? 

I just got it, so I know its not a third party issue (it's right out of the box).
9 Replies
bill-e
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Tablets
Android does not have autocorrect/Predictive text compatibility with external keyboards but some of the keyboard replacements do. I use Swiftkey. Follow the setup instructions in the link below and you will have a menu bar and spelling suggestions along the bottom of the screen. Works very well.
https://support.swiftkey.com/hc/en-us/articles/201591341-How-to-use-Microsoft-SwiftKey-with-physical...
***DeX does not allow the use of any keyboard other than Samsung and therefore you will not be able to have predictive/spell checking in DeX.
Another clumsy work around is to have the onscreen keyboard visible when you type.
Lastly there may be a 3rd party spell checker that we can use but I'll ha e to do some research on that.
** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy S21 Ultra 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S8 Ultra, Tab S4, Galaxy Watch3 (VZW)
Options
Tablets
Hello,

The $350 Samsung Tab 8 Ultra keyboard is not Bluetooth. It attaches physical to the monitor using magnets and electric connectors.

When one powers on the Tab 8 Ultra for the first time or after a factory reset, a list of 17 tips come up. One of them is about the Samsung keyboard offering spell check, grammar, etc.

Does Swiftkey work with a non-Bluetooth physically connected keyboard?
0 Likes
bill-e
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Tablets
Sorry, I should have said "external" keyboard. Swiftkey works with both. And of course they're a number of apps that have built in spell check.
** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy S21 Ultra 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S8 Ultra, Tab S4, Galaxy Watch3 (VZW)
Options
Tablets

Hello,

I would expect Samsung for $350 to have software for the keyboard.

0 Likes
tom2055
Red Giant
Options
Tablets
Yeah, My Tab S7 book cover keybored doesn't have it either.
Options
Tablets
I had hoped Samsung would fix the keyboard for its next version (8). What's up with Samsung. Physical keyboard owners need spell check, grammar, etc.
0 Likes
tom2055
Red Giant
Options
Tablets
Agreed! Especially since they talked about the Grammerly partnership so much, it would be a great time to add it to the physical keybored. Since they marketed it as work machine kinda weird it's not there 😂
Options
Tablets
I agree 100%! In fact, I thought they talked about the physical keyboard having Grammerly, etc.
0 Likes
user8iFoesX5Q8
Asteroid
Options
Tablets

I tried installing Gboard and setting it up as the main keyboard but even though the keyboard can be dispayed and settings can be set. The spelling correction doesn't appear to work in other/most apps.

0 Likes