cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
user0AkW5IgOZO
Cosmic Ray

Tab S6: "Couldn't complete firmware update - Make sure the keyboard is connected to your tablet...

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey,

I've had my SM-T867V for about a week, just got the keyboard cover. It tried to update the firmware, seemed to fail (the screen went away), but then the keyboard simply stopped working entirely. It keeps asking to update the firmware (like the OS is aware that it's there), but then the update fails saying I should "make sure the keyboard is connected"... which it is. Help. I've had this thing for 6 hours and it already seems to be bricked. Disappointing.

KSH

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
user0AkW5IgOZO
Cosmic Ray

Re: Tab S6: "Couldn't complete firmware update - Make sure the keyboard is connected to your ta

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Tech support has no idea. They just want to replace it. Calling the number you gave me.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Tab S6: "Couldn't complete firmware update - Make sure the keyboard is connected to your tabl...

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey, here's the link to update your device. 

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/galaxy-tab-s6-verizon

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

user0AkW5IgOZO
Cosmic Ray

Re: Tab S6: "Couldn't complete firmware update - Make sure the keyboard is connected to your ta

JUMP TO SOLUTION

? I appreciate your attempt but it is unclear how this helps ?
The only software update available here is the USB driver for a PC.
I (apparently?) need to update the firmware for the book cover keyboard.
Want to explain this more?

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Are you getting any error codes? Do you have a case on your device? If no, I want you to clear the cache on the device (steps are listed below) and see if that helps. 

Press and hold the Power key.
Tap Power off and then tap OK.
Press and hold the Power, Home, and Up Volume keys at the same time.
Release all of the keys when the Android image appears.
Press the Volume key to highlight wipe cache partition.
Press the Power key.
After the wipe is complete, press the Volume key to move the cursor to Reboot system now.
Press the Power key.
The device shuts down, restarts, and returns to the startup menu.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

user0AkW5IgOZO
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Do you realize that holding the power on a tab s6 brings up Bixby? Which is super annoying incidentally. And there's no home key either, it's got a software home key. But I'll figure out. 

user0AkW5IgOZO
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

"Are you getting any error codes?"

I guess this thread title isn't clear enough? That's what it tells me when I try to apply the firmware update. 

"Do you have a case on your device?"

Did your read my first post at all? You know, where I wrote "just got the keyboard cover"

I just cleared the cache. Didn't help at all. 

user0AkW5IgOZO
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Oh so hey, the tablet wanted an OS update, which I allowed, and the keyboard started working again. But not the trackpad. So I guess that's something. Something pretty pathetic really. It still wants to update the keyboard firmware, and even said it succeeded once, but still wants to do it... and repeatedly fails out saying that the keyboard isn't attached when it clearly is...

Honored Contributor

Re: Tab S6: "Couldn't complete firmware update - Make sure the keyboard is connected to your tabl...

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Apologies, when we ask for error messages we typically mean the ones that are like "E000008" or what have you. And when you mentioned the keyboard cover, we assumed you meant the keyboard dock. It honestly sounds like something is wrong with the cover case specifically. Where was it purchased? Do you have the option to exchange it through your retailer? Alternatively, you can take the tablet and the case to your local uBreakiFix to see if they can help get it connected for you. They will be able to confirm if it's a defective case. 

user0AkW5IgOZO
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey thanks. I apologize to you and to the other person on this thread, I'm rereading my messages and I feel as if they are throwing some shade. It was quite disappointing and frustrating to get this thing in the mail and have it malfunction within minutes of installing.

I have this: https://www.samsung.com/sg/mobile-accessories/galaxy-tab-s6-keyboard-cover/

I'm pretty sure I'm consistently calling it what it's called on the Samsung site: "keyboard cover", not sure why that is generating confusion, but whatever.

I bought it from Samsung.com. It arrived less than 24 hours ago, I installed it and it seemed to work (trackpad keyboard were OK) in DeX. Keyboard alone worked in tablet mode. Then it asked for a firmware update. That seemed to go OK... but then the trackpad stopped working. And it kept asking to update the firmware. Once out of the many times it requested to do this, there was a small pop-up notification that it succeded. But the requests keep coming. Now, the trackpad doesn't work in DeX, and if I say OK to a firmware update request, the update fails with "Couldn't complete firmware update / Make sure the keyboard is connected to your tablet, then try again", and keyboard stops working until I reboot the tablet.

So, this $180 accessory is not very impressive.

I've tried undoing a couple "weird" things that I use, specifically the XDA Navigation Gestures app (gives me a little pill to naviagte with) and Full Screen Gestures (in the S6 config) with no Gesture hints. But it worked like this with these in place the first time, so... I suspect that's not the problem.

Anyway, the trackpad seems to be bricked at this point. And the firmware updates are messing it up as well. I have a service request in to Samsung (I think) and will go with what they say, but yeah I suspect it's replacement time...

Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Would you mind providing me with the ticket number for the service set up for you?