JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Tab S7 - Turn off screen when casting through HDMI?

(Topic created: 08-03-2022 12:06 PM)
Varxtis
Cosmic Ray
Options
Tablets

I have my Tab S7 connected to TV via USB-C to HDMI. Wireless is out as theres too much of a lag. Since there's only one port, there's no way to keep the Tab charged/charging while using HDMI. Because of this, the battery drains especially fast since the screen stays on the entire time. I've searched every setting and preference I can find, with and without the HDMI plugged in, but I can't find a way to turn screen off while using HDMI. Is there really no way to have the screen off while HDMI is plugged in?

Also, are there any adapters that plug into USB-C, but allow a charging connection and 1 or more connections like USB-C to HDMI? I can't find anything.

18 Replies
tom2055
Supernova
Options
Tablets
You can find USB-C hubs/focks on Amazon that support pass-through charging
0 Likes
Varxtis
Cosmic Ray
Options
Tablets

Please forgive me for sounding lazy, but would I have to search a specific term if I want to find one that supports "pass-through charging" and HDMI? I had no idea that the term I should have been searching for was "pass-through charging". So it makes me wonder if there's another term if I want one that also supports HDMI. Based on the very superficial search after your reply, Id say no, but want to be sure.

0 Likes
Solution
tom2055
Supernova
Options
Tablets
I've been looking at getting one myself, I found the "Anker USB C Hub" on Amazon. $34 USD supports HDMI and charging however based on reviews it seems you might need a higher power charger than the 15w that comes with the Tab

*Edit* that's the link https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Upgraded-Delivery-Pixelbook-A83460A2/dp/B07ZVKTP53/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid...
Varxtis
Cosmic Ray
Options
Tablets

Thats one that came up in my search as well, one I was considering. Thank you 🙂

0 Likes
Varxtis
Cosmic Ray
Options
Tablets

So, I selected solution for the second half of the inquiry, but completely forgot that the first and primary question still goes unsolved. Do you know if theres a way to turn screen off while connected to HDMI?

0 Likes
bill-e
Epic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Tablets

Sure, just run DeX on the HDMI connected device.

Settings->Advanced->Long press on Samsung DeX->toggle on Auto start when HDMI is connected.

Turn on DeX and then launch whatever streaming app you want.  The tablet will eventually time out or do as I do and tap the power key to turn off the screen.

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy Fold 5 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S8 Ultra, Tab S4, Galaxy Watch6Classic 47mm(VZW), Galaxy Watch5Pro(VZW), M8 Smart Monitor
0 Likes
Varxtis
Cosmic Ray
Options
Tablets

2 things:
1. @bill-e Nope. That auto launches, which is great if you like/want Dex, but doesn't turn off tablet screen when HDMI is connected.
2. @tom2055 The adapter thing wont work out I guess. Got that Anker one and Lag is too bad. The lag is just as bad as if I were wireless screen-casting.

0 Likes
bill-e
Epic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Tablets

@Varxtis , I guess I didn't read or remember your post, I was thinking that you wanted to stream something on the TV and turn off the tab screen.  Or maybe even play a game, that will work too.  You can do that with DeX as I described.

If you're looking to Mirror your Android screen on the TV while your tablet screen is black then that won't work. Since it's mirroring, if the tablet screen goes black so does the mirrored screen on the TV.

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy Fold 5 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S8 Ultra, Tab S4, Galaxy Watch6Classic 47mm(VZW), Galaxy Watch5Pro(VZW), M8 Smart Monitor
0 Likes
Varxtis
Cosmic Ray
Options
Tablets

You read it right. I want to stream my tablet to the TV via HDM and turn off the tab screen while doing it. But tablet screen doesn't turn off even if Im in Dex Mode. Thought maybe you were saying the TV (Which is a relatively new Samsung Model) had to be running Dex as well, but I cant find any Dex  apps for the TV. I went through tablet options while Dex is running, (display settings, timeout, etc) and found nothing to effect this.

EDIT: I should be clear/fair... The Tablet screen does switch to the Touchpad mode. The screen just won't turn off. Its a lot better I guess  for the sake of saving power. But I really don't like the Dex mode/app in the first place. Apps freeze a LOT. For instance, the reason Im wanting in this instance, is to use RetroArch emulators. When I run the app, the window controls for the app (Minimize window, scale, close app) don't show up. The cursor changes wnen hovering where they should be. But when I click in the top part of the window, regardless of where, the window closes. When I try to bring it back up, the app is just a dark screen, and it freezes/crashes.

0 Likes