Original topic:

Tab S8 Ultra and DeX has replaced my windows desktop

(Topic created: 08-22-2022 04:39 PM)
bill-e
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Tablets

My 13 year old desktop died 7 months ago and I had been getting by with a laptop connected to an external monitor and keyboard.   Then I bought the Tab S8 Ultra back in April.  I began using it more an more while sitting at a desk because like my old desktop,  the Windows laptop was old and slow. 

A few weeks ago I hooked the Tab up to a 1080p monitor and began using DeX again.   Since I'm partially retired I don't have the workload I used to but even so,  I've found nothing I would use the Windows machine for that I can't do on my Tab S8 Ultra DeX setup. 

There is one thing I can't do and that is use Lightroom to catalog my photo's.   I can use Lightroom to edit them,  it just doesn't have the indexing feature to local storage.   I think if I was to buy a large creative Cloud plan from Adobe it might get closer to the indexing I had with Lightroom Classic. 

This week I upgraded the setup with a Samsung M8 Smart monitor. DeX displays in a WQHD resolution and looks great. Also added a monitor light bar which I keep just bright enough to keep my keyboard visible. One of the advantages of the large screen Tab S8 Ultra is that I can continue to work while watch 4k streaming content on the M8.

I'm using a hub connected to the Tab which has HDMI connected to the monitor, power connected to a 45w Samsung charger and 1gE connected to my router. So the Tab has 1gE but the monitor is WiFi. The mouse only works with the tab and it's mirrored screen or DeX. The monitor is controlled by the included remote.

So far I'm loving the M8 Smart Monitor and it's my first 4k display.   Even though I have the same apps on my Tab as on the monitor,  I'm liking the ease of using the voice remote to totally control the smart monitor. 

Lemorele USB-c Hub
Monitor Light 

Here's the setup

20220811_204456.jpg 

And here's Lightroom CC running in DeX on the M8( 32")

Screenshot_20220812-065529_Edge.jpg

A real perk of getting the Smart Monitor and the Tab S8 Ultra is that I can watch 4k content on the monitor and still have the 14" display of the Tab 8 Ultra for "work". 

I'm very happy with this setup and it's functionality. 

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy S21 Ultra 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S8 Ultra, Tab S4, Galaxy Watch3(VZW), M8 Smart Monitor
27 Replies
bill-e
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Tablets

Ethernet connection through hub to my Tab

Screenshot_20220815-232641_Speedtest.jpg

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy S21 Ultra 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S8 Ultra, Tab S4, Galaxy Watch3(VZW), M8 Smart Monitor
bill-e
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Tablets

The only issue I've found with Ethernet,  which Samsung Support can't seem to understand,  is that I cannot connect with the software update server,  I just get a non-available error.   This has been the case for many years and all of my tablets and phones.   I have to disconnect ethernet to check for software updates, 

Bill
---
0 Likes
Options
Tablets
Nice setup! It seems like you have the same book cover keyboard as me, might be mistaken. You can fn key + f12 and adjust the built-in keyboard brightness fyi! Sometimes feels better on my eyes than the surrounding light, depends on the lamps near me at the time though.
0 Likes
Options
Tablets

Oh wow a second look and I think you also have an m585 mouse. You know it can Bluetooth to two devices? You just have to press the button on top of the mouse to swap to the other number and then hold it to pair to a second device. I usually have it swap to my laptop but you could put it on your phone and stand it up if you have such a phone cover. The keyboard also allows pairing and swapping to other devices, or at least with my Samsung phone.

0 Likes
bill-e
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Tablets

Yep,  the USB ratio has been connected to my Windows laptop for a couple of years now. 

Bill
---
0 Likes
bill-e
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Tablets

yep,  I do adjust it but it times-out quickly so the monitor light is great for finding that first key in the dark

Bill
---
Options
Tablets

Your monitor looks like it runs Dex with better resolution than my 4K one 😥 Can you let me know the pixel resolution while in Dex mode under settings > Samsung Dex > display resolution, and let me know if it says 2560 × 1080 for you as well? I might have to do a side upgrade for my monitor in this case 😞

Not against doing that because I always wanted to try out picture-in-picture on a monitor

0 Likes
bill-e
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Tablets

The Samsung M8 is a 4k monitor and it runs DeX at 2560x1440 (WQHD).   Hopefully that increases to full 4k when we get OneUI 4.1.1 or 5.0

Bill
---
Jacobbbb
Sun
Options
Tablets
I probably would do this aswell, as long some windows only applications could switch over to Android. Otherwise yes, it's absolutely perfect!
0 Likes