Original topic:

Tab S8 Ultra and DeX has replaced my windows desktop

(Topic created: 08-12-2022 01:27 PM)
bill-e
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Tablets

My 13 year old desktop died 7 months ago and I had been getting by with a laptop connected to an external monitor and keyboard.   Then I bought the Tab S8 Ultra back in April.  I began using it more an more while sitting at a desk because like my old desktop,  the Windows laptop was old and slow. 

A few weeks ago I hooked the Tab up to a 1080p monitor and began using DeX again.   Since I'm partially retired I don't have the workload I used to but even so,  I've found nothing I would use the Windows machine for that I can't do on my Tab S8 Ultra DeX setup. 

There is one thing I can't do and that is use Lightroom to catalog my photo's.   I can use Lightroom to edit them,  it just doesn't have the indexing feature to local storage.   I think if I was to buy a large creative Cloud plan from Adobe it might get closer to the indexing I had with Lightroom Classic. 

This week I upgraded the setup with a Samsung M8 Smart monitor. DeX displays in a WQHD resolution and looks great. Also added a monitor light bar which I keep just bright enough to keep my keyboard visible. One of the advantages of the large screen Tab S8 Ultra is that I can continue to work while watch 4k streaming content on the M8.

I'm using a hub connected to the Tab which has HDMI connected to the monitor, power connected to a 45w Samsung charger and 1gE connected to my router. So the Tab has 1gE but the monitor is WiFi. The mouse only works with the tab and it's mirrored screen or DeX. The monitor is controlled by the included remote.

So far I'm loving the M8 Smart Monitor and it's my first 4k display.   Even though I have the same apps on my Tab as on the monitor,  I'm liking the ease of using the voice remote to totally control the smart monitor. 

Lemorele USB-c Hub
Monitor Light 

Here's the setup

20220811_204456.jpg 

And here's Lightroom CC running in DeX on the M8( 32")

Screenshot_20220812-065529_Edge.jpg

A real perk of getting the Smart Monitor and the Tab S8 Ultra is that I can watch 4k content on the monitor and still have the 14" display of the Tab 8 Ultra for "work". 

I'm very happy with this setup and it's functionality. 

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy S21 Ultra 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S8 Ultra, Tab S4, Galaxy Watch3(VZW), M8 Smart Monitor
Jacobbbb
Sun
Options
Tablets
Do you ever get response lag? Like animations are very slow or take longer for buttons to register?
0 Likes
bill-e
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Tablets

Nope,  no lag

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy S21 Ultra 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S8 Ultra, Tab S4, Galaxy Watch3(VZW), M8 Smart Monitor
0 Likes
bill-e
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Tablets

While we're waiting for Samsung to fix spell check on their Samsung Keyboard, I've been using Microsoft Swiftkey because of its ability to spell check/predective text while using my physical keyboard. 

It's certainly not perfect but it's better than nothing.  I have it configured so that the on-screen keyboard is displayed while using the Physical Keyboard, and it's displayed on the tablet as just the toolbar. 

In the photo below you can see me typing the first line of this post into the web version of this forum on my external monitor and purposely misspelling "Keyboard"  and the correct spelling is circled below on the tab.  You can also configure Swiftkey to automatically insert the correct spelling. 

Again, not perfect but works acceptably well. 

Here's the link to set it up. 

https://support.swiftkey.com/hc/en-us/articles/204516312-How-to-set-up-Microsoft-SwiftKey-on-Android

20220826_093138.jpg

Bill
---
bill-e
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Tablets

With 4.1.1 which came out on 29 Aug, I am able to connect DeX at 4K if I use USB-c but only at WQHD if I use HDMI. 

The USB-c connection is unstable and because of the video bandwith on the cable, I cannot really use my 1gE internet connection so I fell back to WiFi for now

I am using the cables that came with the M8 monitor and I don't believe that they are good enough for the required bandwidth...actually I know the Samsung supplied HDMI cable isn't because it failed the M8's Device Care test and was rated only for FHD. 

So I have to new cables, one of each, coming in Monday or Tuesday and my hopes are that the HDMI 2.1 48gbs will allow me to get 4k over it and thus allow me to plug back in my 1gE and get a reliable 4k connection.  The fall back is that the new USB-C cable will improve the reliability of the connection and I can use that. 

Bill
---
bill-e
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Tablets
I'm approaching 24 hours without a disconnect since installing the new cable. My Tab was disconnecting every few hours with the Samsung cable so I'm satisfied with this performance.

The high speed HDMI cable made no difference as I still cannot change the resolution to 4k.  With the now reliable USB-C connection and the near spec WiFi speeds (450bps, 12ms) this is an acceptable consequence to using 4k USB. 

For those who don't realize this, in order to get 4K via USB you have to use most of the USB bandwidth for the video and that drops the bandwidth available for the 1gE connection resulting in speeds which were about 900bps to under 300bps.

Bill
---
Options
Tablets
Ah checked again since I saw this, I can only select WQHD with my 4K monitor through direct usb-c with the cable that came with the thinkvision monitor. Ordered that high speed cable to see if it bumps it up. Thanks for sharingScreenshot_20220909_175003_80_1662771003.jpg
0 Likes
Options
Tablets
Sad update to this, with the above usb-c cable my 4k thinkvision monitor still only allows WQHD at most. I even read about mulitstar from goodlock, got it to show the 4K option that was hidden from me, but changing to it had no effect, clear when returning to check the setting. It was kept at WQHD without changes despite selecting the 4k option. I'll fiddle with it more but it seems like I'm stuck with this until I get a different 4K monitor.
0 Likes
Options
Tablets
Posting an update. Fiddled with this a lot, tried toggling and clearing data/cache of things that seemed dex related too, tried various logic to reinstall multistar and toggle higher resolution. Even plugged my tab s8 ultra into a pc and did android recovery to reset the cache partition. The UHD 4K option still defaults to WQHD sadly. I guess I gave it a good attempt.

Amusingly I discovered my S22 ultra is able to do 4K on this monitor and that works fine as long as I keep a fan on it. Go figure.
0 Likes
Options
Tablets
Switched to a M70b samsung monitor and the 12gb ram tab is working in 4K now
0 Likes
bill-e
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Tablets
Make sure you are running Goodlock/Multistar to enable high resolution display

Bill
---