Original topic:

Tab S8 Ultra and DeX has replaced my windows desktop

(Topic created: 08-12-2022 01:27 PM)
bill-e
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Tablets

My 13 year old desktop died 7 months ago and I had been getting by with a laptop connected to an external monitor and keyboard.   Then I bought the Tab S8 Ultra back in April.  I began using it more an more while sitting at a desk because like my old desktop,  the Windows laptop was old and slow. 

A few weeks ago I hooked the Tab up to a 1080p monitor and began using DeX again.   Since I'm partially retired I don't have the workload I used to but even so,  I've found nothing I would use the Windows machine for that I can't do on my Tab S8 Ultra DeX setup. 

There is one thing I can't do and that is use Lightroom to catalog my photo's.   I can use Lightroom to edit them,  it just doesn't have the indexing feature to local storage.   I think if I was to buy a large creative Cloud plan from Adobe it might get closer to the indexing I had with Lightroom Classic. 

This week I upgraded the setup with a Samsung M8 Smart monitor. DeX displays in a WQHD resolution and looks great. Also added a monitor light bar which I keep just bright enough to keep my keyboard visible. One of the advantages of the large screen Tab S8 Ultra is that I can continue to work while watch 4k streaming content on the M8.

I'm using a hub connected to the Tab which has HDMI connected to the monitor, power connected to a 45w Samsung charger and 1gE connected to my router. So the Tab has 1gE but the monitor is WiFi. The mouse only works with the tab and it's mirrored screen or DeX. The monitor is controlled by the included remote.

So far I'm loving the M8 Smart Monitor and it's my first 4k display.   Even though I have the same apps on my Tab as on the monitor,  I'm liking the ease of using the voice remote to totally control the smart monitor. 

Lemorele USB-c Hub
Monitor Light 

Here's the setup

20220811_204456.jpg 

And here's Lightroom CC running in DeX on the M8( 32")

Screenshot_20220812-065529_Edge.jpg

A real perk of getting the Smart Monitor and the Tab S8 Ultra is that I can watch 4k content on the monitor and still have the 14" display of the Tab 8 Ultra for "work". 

I'm very happy with this setup and it's functionality. 

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy S21 Ultra 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S8 Ultra, Tab S4, Galaxy Watch3(VZW), M8 Smart Monitor
27 Replies
bill-e
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Tablets

So here are about 6 weeks since I made this change and I'm still quite happy with the results and have not touched a windows machine since. 

I do have one nagging issue and that is the lack of stability in the USB-c 4k connection.  I really don't know for sure what the issue is but my connection either resets or disconnects between every one to many hours.  I've tried different more expensive cable and recently went back to the Samsung cable included with the monitor and I went 4 days without an issue until, believe it or not, I was on Reddit and hitting "comment" to post a message talking about  my 4 days of reliable use and it reset.  I was in Samsung Internet posting the message and while it seems to happen a lot in that browser it also happens in my email app... totally weird and totally don't know why I went 4 days without issue.  So I connected yet another brand new cable, power cycled both the tablet and monitor and we'll see how it goes. 

I have ordered and expensive 3rd party hub that is supposed to allow pass through USB 4k video so we'll see if that's true and if it is any more stable. 

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy S21 Ultra 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S8 Ultra, Tab S4, Galaxy Watch3(VZW), M8 Smart Monitor
0 Likes
bill-e
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Tablets

Hub (J5Create, JCD397, $120) came in and did not work as they said.  First, HDMI worked the same as my other hubs.. only WQHD resolution.  USB-C did not work at all. I ordered a Display port to USB-C as my last effort to try to get the hub to work so I can get my 1gE back but if it doesn't, I'm just going to stick with my working USB-C 4k connection and use wireless. 

Bill
---
0 Likes
Options
Tablets
Thanks for the updates. Out of curiosity and for comparison, do you know if your tab s8 ultra is the 8 gb, 12 gb, or 16 gb RAM variant? Whichever one it depends on the internal memory/storage size for the u.s. ones I believe.

Random shot in the dark at your problem, maybe you could try disabling the ram plus and/or setting the amount to zero? Device care > Memory > RAM Plus > Toggle
0 Likes
bill-e
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Tablets

I have the 512/16g version and the Ram Plus is set to 4g.  There is no toggle to turn it off, just the 2,4,6, 8 selections.  

Are you suggesting that the 4k HDMI is dependent on RAM? 

Bill
---
0 Likes
Options
Tablets
Thought it might be worth a try if you were at wits end with that, since the issue seems to occur during app usage for an extended period of time.

It seems that the toggle only appears in one ui 5 phones sorry. From looking online you would need to plug it into a computer and get an adb command running in previous versions. Too much of a rabbit hole in that case.
0 Likes
bill-e
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Tablets

So it's been stable for a few days now.  I'll cause it to be unstable later today when I try one more thing with the hub but I don't really expect it to work and I'll be sending it all back to Amazon and be happy with wnat I have.  I can get back into a stable mode by power cycling both the monitor and the tab at the same time... Weird. 

Bill
---
0 Likes
bill-e
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Tablets

So as I stated above the new hub didn't work for me and the display port didn't either and I really didn't expect it to.  So the hub and cable are on their way back to Amazon and I'm giving up the hope of getting 1gE and 4k,  for now anyway. 

My wifi speed is quite good at 450/350(dn/up) so I'm OK with that and if I ever need the 1gE I can hook the ethernet directly to the tablet and download at high speed. 

Bill
---
0 Likes
bill-e
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Tablets

I'm still experiencing periodic unstable USB-C connection to the M8.  Very weird.  In addition since I leave my system on 24/7 and try to keep Samsung Internet and Aquamail open on the monitor screen all the time I find that even open apps do not seem to be very stable and keep closing on the external monitor in DeX.  The next step is to see how the apps perform 24/7 on just the Tab S8U with DeX and not external monitor. 

Bill
---
0 Likes