Original topic:

Tablet Still Has Problems After Being Sent for Repair

(Topic created: 09-21-2022 12:28 AM)
Noble217
Asteroid
Options
Tablets

Hello All,

I am at a complete loss. A few weeks ago, my Galaxy Tab s8 Ultra began to have charging issues. It started out where the tablet would charge for a bit, then start disconnecting and reconnecting, all while making the little charging sound. After a few days of this, the tablet would no longer do Super Fast Charging 2.0, and would immediately drop to standard charging (which takes way longer). It continued to disconnect and reconnect off and on when left plugged in for awhile. After a few days of that, the tablet would simply refuse to charge for me at all. No matter how many times I plugged it in. So, after a lot of back and forth with Samsung reps over the phone (what a pain) I finally got someone who sent me a repair ticket and I sent it in to Samsung.  *Note- I use this tablet extensively for work/productivity, and it was a huge pain to have to part with it for almost 2 weeks*.

Well, about a week ago I got an email from Samsung's repair center in NJ; they said that no problem was found, something about 3rd party charges, etc, and that it was being sent back. I called the reps back and 2 people said nothing was done, a 3rd claimed the charging port was replaced....... So yeah, no consistency. Further, it is impossible to reach anyone at the NJ repair center directly. 

Long story short, I have had my tablet back for the last 6 days. The first few days I did not use it much, but when I plugged it in it went to Super Fast Charging 2.0 and seemed to be working. Well, since then, it almost immediately began doing the intermittent on again/off again charging routine. As of today, it is still doing that but has refused to Super Fast Charge anymore. Now, it just charges slowly. Sometimes re-connecting the charging cable doesn't register at all. I've been down this road before; permanently not doing anything at all when it is plugged in is where it is headed.

*I am using the official OEM Samsung 45w charging brick and cable. I have tried 2 sets of them to ensure it wasn't the problem. I have tried multiple outlets at multiple locations/work/etc. The tablet could not be cleaner and is in almost perfect condition (I'm OCD about my electronics). There is no dust in the charging port, etc. It does this even when I reformat/factory reset it*

So yeah, I don't know what to do. Samsung reps and repair center say nothing is wrong, but there absolutely is. Their QA team they said tested it obviously didn't leave it charging from a low % for long and watch it. I told a buddy of mine who repairs mobile devices and he said he believes something is wrong with the Power IC chip (or some such) and that is why it jumps down from high wattage, to nothing at all eventually. So, power distribution most likely. Hence the battery checked out in Samsung's tests. But it may be a mobo issue.

I absolutely cannot afford to continue to send this thing back and wait another 2 weeks over and over again, only to be told nothing is wrong. I paid a hefty price for the 256gb model, and the Ultra one at that, and it is completely unacceptable that this is happening. Samsung is insanely difficult to communicate with, and I'm beginning to feel as if I am out of luck. At this point I just want a new tablet. I have no faith that they will actually test this thing thoroughly enough to catch the intermittent issue.

Please, if any of you have any advice, I would love to hear it. Thanks.

18 Replies
bill-e
Epic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Tablets

The instructions I received when I sent my tablet to NJ was to include the charger and cables.  Did you do that?  If you didn't then I would send it in again and included the charger and cable. 

Good Luck. 

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy Fold 5 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S8 Ultra, Tab S4, Galaxy Watch6Classic 47mm(VZW), Galaxy Watch5Pro(VZW), M8 Smart Monitor
0 Likes
Noble217
Asteroid
Options
Tablets

I was specifically told not to do so by the rep who made my ticket. I was only to send the tablet, and as it did not come with a charger, and I personally purchased the ones I have, I was not supposed to. The QA team supposedly tested it just fine and decided there was nothing wrong. Which, of course there is. Oh, and they send me a slow travel charger brand new back with it.

And, the issue remains that I cannot keep sending this thing back in for 2 weeks each turnaround. Especially when they do nothing when it arrives. I appreciate the response, but unfortunately sending in the charger is not likely the solution. For the record, I don't have just one charger. I have tried on my older official chargers (slower charge), my newer ones, and the one Samsung sent back. The issue with the tablet remains.

CarryR
Constellation
Options
Tablets
My S8 plus is doing the same thing exactly and it doesn't charge at all now It's brand new and I just got it it started to do this maybe a month after I got it I don't know what to do now and I'm really worried because no one will fix your problem maybe it's some charging chip or something that needs to be changed I'm hoping Samsung We'll fix it and not blame anything else on I didn't havefixed yet so it's still in its original condition Maybe Samsung will honor A factory Warranty
bill-e
Options
Tablets

I'm curious, was the tablet in a failed mode when you sent it in and did it come back reset? 

Do you have a Ubreakfix within a reasonable distance that you can take the tablet to and demonstrate the issue?  I would think that it would be easier to convince Ubreakfix that there was a hardware problem then someone on the phone and if they can't duplicate the issue they are not going to fix it. 

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy Fold 5 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S8 Ultra, Tab S4, Galaxy Watch6Classic 47mm(VZW), Galaxy Watch5Pro(VZW), M8 Smart Monitor
0 Likes
Noble217
Asteroid
Options
Tablets

Not sure what you mean by failed mode. I was instructed to factory reset the device prior to shipping it, which I did. Even in that state, the tablet refused to charge at the time. When I received my tablet back, it was still in a state of reset.

The nearest ubreakifix is over an hour from me. I have spoken to them about the tablet as that was what was first recommended by the reps. They were very clear that not only were they not setup to work on the Galaxy tab s8 U, Samsung had no parts available for them to do so either.

At this point, I am supremely frustrated as you can imagine. For me, the problem is not so intermittent that you couldn't see it has a problem. As long as the battery is lower than, say 60%, the tablet will fail to consistently charge (or sometimes charge at all). All that must be done is to watch and listen to it for more than 15 minutes. I suppose, at the price point we paid for this device, I am of the mind that they should have taken the time to find the problem. I cannot keep sending this back and be without it only to be told nothing is wrong. As the consumer, I believe that is on Samsung. The problem is repeatable. It is well under warranty. There has to be a way to ensure it either gets fixed properly (though I cannot stress how much I despise the idea of having it gone again when it is needed when it should have been repaired before) or that I am given a replacement. For one rep to tell me something was repaired on it, and 2 reps + repair sheet said nothing was done, does not fill me with confidence either. 

By the way, thank you for your continued communications Bill.

0 Likes
bill-e
Options
Tablets

By failed mode I meant in the condition that it wouldn't charge so that they could diagnose the problem. 

Seems like you're going to need to call NJ and talk to them. 

Bill
---
0 Likes
Noble217
Asteroid
Options
Tablets

Bill,

Ah, I see. Then yes, when I sent it in to them it wouldn't show any signs of life when plugged in, so yes, failed state. I would love nothing more than to talk to the guys in NJ. Indeed I have tried to do so quite a bit. The number and extension listed on the repair sheet goes nowhere. Once you call, it goes to a recording, which says leave a message, which says mailbox full. Even trying to transfer to the operator went to a full mailbox. If you know an alternative way of contacting them I would love to hear it. I'd at least feel a little more confident I could discuss the issue.

0 Likes
CarryR
Constellation
Options
Tablets
I have the same issue, But I didn't have it repaired yet so I'm hoping if I send it to Samsung they won't blame it on that
0 Likes
bill-e
Options
Tablets

Sorry, I had a number that I spoke with a human on but can't seem to find it.  I'll keep looking. 

Bill
---
0 Likes