Original topic:

Tablet Unauthorized Factory Reset - having trouble trying to connect to wi-fi for re-setup.

(Topic created: a week ago)
kennari2016
Asteroid
Options
Tablets

My Samsung Tab S6 Lite tablet underwent an unauthorized factory reset and I have tried many times to set my tablet up again. After I click ‘hello’ then all the legal stuff I get to the ‘Choose a Wi-Fi Network' page whereupon I am met by this message:

"An unauthorized attempt has been made to reset your device to factory default settings. Connect to a Wi-Fi or mobile network to verify your identity."

I would love to comply with that requirement. However, while none of the wi-fi networks I have access to have passwords, they all have sign-ins screens. So, when I selected one of those wi-fi networks available to me, I was met by the following message:

"Unable to sign in to W-Fi. An unauthorized factory reset has been performed on this device. The sign-in screen cannot be accessed."

I even tried to skip the setup with wi-fi and tried to do it manually. However, when I tried to do that I was met by this message:

A network connection is needed to continue setup. Connect to Wi-Fi.

Now, I have tried the following remedies:

1A) I called Samsung to talk with someone in tech support. There, I basically got a litany of “contact numbers for Google”, i.e., to reach a human. However, I called all those numbers and it came to nothing. But I do have to hand it to the tech support guy; he kept sending me “numbers" by text, long after I had hung up with him.

1B) In the end, a different Samsung tech guy set up to have my tablet shipped to Samsung to get fixed and then sent back to me, which I would rather avoid.

2) I have tried to power up in recovery mode and safe mode, and that didn’t work because they, like the tablet, are locked.

My e-mail is <hidden> but my name is Derek. I included my email because I don't know if I'll emails automatically.

I would really appreciate any help that could be brought to bear upon this problem.

4 Replies
realaud
Neutron Star
Options
Tablets
You have to verify your identity, you dont have home Wi-Fi? You only have access to public Wi-Fi? You don't have a friend or family member with home Wi-Fi? One with an ssid and password? Doesn't even have to have a password, it can be an unsecured guest network. Otherwise, your only alternative would be to send it in for service. Did you not put in your passeord when you reset it? It usually ask for it before doing the reset. If you didnt do that, that's why it's asking for verification. You wouldnt want just anybody to be able to reset it and walk away with it.
0 Likes
kennari2016
Asteroid
Options
Tablets

Thank you for your answer. It helped me realize that this problem was never going to be solved without the help of someone with real wi-fi. I have wi-fi where I live but it is not my own. I live in a supportive living center, and the wi-fi is great, if you're in the right room, but it has a sign-in screen that the wi-fi program on my tablet simply will not access. I just called up my friend and I read him your answer and he's going to pick me up to take care of the problem.

All the best!

0 Likes
realaud
Neutron Star
Options
Tablets
If you have a phone, you can try activating you mobile hotspot and seeing if it will connect to that. If you don't have a phone, someone else you know does snd they can turn on their hotspot.
0 Likes
kennari2016
Asteroid
Options
Tablets

I have tried that as well, but I can't get it to work. But thank you for the thought.

All the best!

0 Likes