JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

New Tab A 8inch SM-T290 Cannot move apps to SD card

(Topic created: 07-31-2020 08:26 AM)
userIv6GHwN99R
Constellation
Options
Tablets

I have a brand new Tab A 8inch.   I am very familiar with Samsung since I have phone and 10 inch tablet.   I have bought a 64Gb micro SD card.   It is seen by the tablet.   However I am unable to move apps to the card.   I looked at an app that shows as moveable on my phone but on the tablet there is no option under storage to move to external storage

The tablet has Android 9

Is there something that has to be done to enable moving apps to the sd card?

60 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
Tablets

The instructions are pretty much the same, though not all apps are able to transfer to the SD card. Some of the same apps that are able to transfer will vary depending on the android version.

I would ensure that the SD card is set up and accepted by the tablet as a storage device.

If everything is set up correctly and you're still having issues, I would recommend reaching out to Samsung Community in Canada: Link

0 Likes
userj44xRI345g
Constellation
Options
Tablets

The sd card is formatted and recognized, and I have checked 30+ apps that were able to be transferred to the sd card on the old tablet.

Any reason I should follow up with the Samsung community in Canada?  I am in the U.S.

*edit* added a few pics.  The first is the old tablet (please don't judge the screen smudges, lol.  With a new tablet, my 3 year old got the old tablet.) The rest are examples of the same app, and the lack of options to move to sd card.

20200730_233906.jpg

20200730_234226.jpg

20200730_234236.jpg

20200730_234244.jpg

20200730_233554.jpg

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
Tablets

My apologies, the search algorithm showed it as a Canadian model.

Unfortunately, this feature may not be available for all apps and more recent apps have removed it unless necessary. Have you tried checking your media apps to see if the option is available?

Is the software on the device up to date? Is the SD Card formatted to FAT32 or exFAT?

0 Likes
userj44xRI345g
Constellation
Options
Tablets

The sd card is formatted to whatever format the tablet defaults to.  I have updated all the software through both google play for the apps, and the system settings for updateds to the tablet.  And I am attempting to transfer apps that are the same version.  Any more suggestions?

0 Likes
bill-e
Epic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Tablets

The 8" Tab A seems to be unable to move apps to SD card.  I don't know if that is a feature or a bug but we have not been able to help anyone with that tablet successfully move any apps to sdcard.  Many users have reported this so Samsung is aware of it.

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy Fold 5 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S8 Ultra, Tab S4, Galaxy Watch6Classic 47mm(VZW), Galaxy Watch5Pro(VZW), M8 Smart Monitor
userl0F6IjvdCp
Astronaut
Options
Tablets

Does this mean I can return the tablet? I am unhappy about this. 

0 Likes
userfRS5hDv9mH
Astronaut
Options
Tablets

Unbelieveable.  I've been a loyal Samsung customer for 15 years.

If this was done as a marketing stratagy, my loyality has just ended.

user8C03KuEjV4
Astronaut
Options
Tablets

how do i "Accept as a Solution" (because your technique worked for my sm-t290!!) THANKS ! (i did click "like")

0 Likes
maccat32
Constellation
Options
Tablets

I have had samsung tablets for years, this model no longer has the ability to move aps to the sd card.  Can someone please explain why and when this will be returned, this is a major flaw that needs to be corrected.  HELP!!!

userWbsyBZ9oNP
Cosmic Ray
Options
Tablets

I have spent literally days discussing this on the phone wirh Samsung and Samsung supervisors and they all think that most aps should be able to be moved to the sd card (but can't do it). They have tried to escalate this to the expert assistance department, and this department seems difficult to locate and contact (probably due to COVID). I have gone back to the place of purchase and they are enlisting the help of their Samsung rep.  This problem seems new to all 8 to 10 or so of the Samsung employees with which I have discussed this. Also for some reason, the app which allows them to take control of your tablet and do it themselves won't install on my Tab A.  Good Luck. I will let you know if I get any positive result.