JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

What does Backup/restore do?

(Topic created: 08-24-2021 08:17 AM)
userC09gy6343n
Asteroid
Options
Tablets

More excitement with my new Tab A7 🙂  ...  I don't understand backup and restore.  A few months back there was the notice that the Samsung cloud was going away and we would have to switch to OneDrive.   When I go to backup/restore on my new tablet I notice two things:  1) there's no mention of OneDrive, only Samsung cloud [which I thought was turned off] and 2) in the devices dropdown, it only lists my old tablet and my cell phone, it doesn't list *itself*.

Is my new tablet not being backed up?   What about one drive?

4 Replies
MsBri1
Neutron Star
Options
Tablets

Hello I  would recommend reaching out to our Samsung Cloud team directly at (855) 795-0509 for further assistance with the information your seeking. I apologize for any inconvenience. 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

userC09gy6343n
Asteroid
Options
Tablets

I spent several hours yestereay trying to get my new Tab A7 to switch from the Samsung Cloud to OneDrive for its save/restore/sync machinery.  All to no avail.

I contacted Samsung support and all they did was confirm that I have a OneDrive account [of course I do: my other two devices have switched to it back in June] and then they bounced me to Microsoft.   I got in touch with OneDrive tech support and the only thing they did was refer me to a web page on how to back up my picture Gallery to OneDrive [and the one thing i *don't want backed up to any cloud is my gallery].   I clarified what help I needed and then ...crickets...

Anybody know how to set up b/r/s to use OneDrive [or some way to get useful customer-support help?    Thanks!

0 Likes
userC09gy6343n
Asteroid
Options
Tablets

OK, Microsoft got back to me and now I'm more confused than ever.:

"We have read your concern and understand that you want to sync your calendar, notes and contacts in OneDrive. We would like to inform you that in OneDrive we can only sync the files and pictures to OneDrive and it is not possible to sync and backup calendar, notes, contact, etc. "

Now I think that's false on two counts -- first was all the stuff back in June [I think] that the samsung cloud was shutting down and we HAD to switch to OneDrive.  And second, I checked my Tab A [to refresh my memory] and it , indeed, says that it is using OneDrive..

So what do I do now???

0 Likes
Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
Tablets

Your Contacts, Calendar, and Device settings will continue to back up in the Samsung Cloud. The service has not been completely terminated, only File and Picture storage has been discontinued. There are additional options for backing up your information. OneDrive offers 5GB of free storage for backups of all of your information. Another option is the Google Cloud Storage which offers 15GB at no cost. Finally, there is the option of backing up all of your information to a PC using SmartSwitch.

0 Likes