cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userKmL1rQ57Io
Constellation

Brown Residue/Mold - Factory Defect

As with many other posts in this community, I too have a top washer that continues to have the brown disgusting flakes of scum and mold that ends up on our clothes.  I have cleaned this machine several times, but the problem is the mold gets in between the metal pulsator and the plastic under piece.  No matter what I use, the cleaning does not get it clean.  See pictures.  You can see the dark shadows under the white plastic...that's mold.  What is Samsung doing about this?  There should be a fix to this problem considering how many people are posting the same problem on this community forum.

6 REPLIES 6
khajak80
Cosmic Ray

Re: Brown Residue/Mold - Factory Defect

Huh, weird. Did you try searching in xda forums similar to this issue.

userKmL1rQ57Io
Constellation

not sure what xda is?  but, I have read many many posts on this site about the same problem, and view several videos on YouTube on the same.  This is a design issue that is being ignored.

Natey
Halo

I leave my washer open for about a day after every laundry cycle so that it dries on the inside. Maybe that might help dry up some of the stuff?

userKmL1rQ57Io
Constellation

Thanks for the suggestions, but the issue here is that this is a design problem.  There is no way to separate the metal pulsator from the plastic under insert in order to clean the residue/mold from what is stuck in between, and I cannot find a way to separate the two, and cleaning it in the way that is being suggested does NOT get in between the two.  I used bleach, vinegar, and a dotox tablet to clean it (along with two Self-Clean cycles), but the pictures I posted were the result after the final attempt to clean.

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

To keep your washer tub clean, use the SELF CLEAN cycle at least once a month or every 20 cycles.

Perform the recommended procedures below when using the SELF CLEAN cycle. On 2011–2013 models, the SELF CLEAN cycle is labeled “Pure Cycle.”

1. Remove all items from the washer tub and ensure the tub is empty. Laundry left in the tub during the SELF CLEAN cycle may be damaged.
  2. Press Power to turn on the washer.
  3. Turn the Cycle Selector to SELF CLEAN (or select Pure Cycle).
  4. Press and hold Start/Pause (Hold to Start).
  5. After the SELF CLEAN cycle, leave the lid open to dry.

Note:

• The water temperature for SELF CLEAN is set to Hot and cannot be changed.
  • When noticeable residue is present in the washer tub, add 1 cup (8 fl.oz or 240ml) of liquid chlorine bleach to the bleach compartment before you start the SELF CLEAN cycle.
  • Do not use or mix any other detergent or chemicals during the SELF CLEAN cycle. If necessary, run a RINSE+SPIN cycle after the SELF CLEAN cycle has completed to help remove any residual residue.
  • Please be aware that certain usage and environmental conditions may result in residue build-up or odor in the washer tub.

Caution:

• Check the washer tub before using the SELF CLEAN cycle. Remove any water remaining in the tub by running the SPIN ONLY cycle before starting the SELF CLEAN cycle.
  • If there is chlorine bleach left in the washer tub for an extended period of time, rust can occur.

If you have additional questions you can go here: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/troubleshooting/TSG01108629/ or reach out to me or another Moderator in a direct message!

userKmL1rQ57Io
Constellation

Samsung Gil,

I understand that is probably the standard reply, but the issue here is that this is a design problem.  Is there a way to separate the metal pulsator from the plastic under insert in order to clean the residue/mold from what is stuck in between?  I cannot find a way to separate the two, and cleaning it in the way you suggest does NOT get in between the two.  I used bleach, vinegar, and a dotox tablet to clean it (along with two Self-Clean cycles), but the pictures I posted were the result after the final attempt to clean.  Your suggestions are not valid in this situation.   Will Samsung send me a new pulsator assembly (DC97-17374A) as a fix?