Original topic:

DV40J3000EW/A2 electric dryer will not stop spinning after a cycle is done

(Topic created on: 12/10/20 9:48 PM)
userhtOkTp5USh
Asteroid
Options
Washers and Dryers

Close to 17 months this dryer was working fine and now, after any cycle, it just keeps on spinning. It seems like a relay somewhere on the power to the motor is stuck closed and does not turn off the motor. 

Going into service mode (press power and start together) does not show any codes, no lights flashing. After a cycle it does cut off the heat but not the motor. 

Pressing on the power button, only brings up the lights to select a new program. 

Contacted customer service, and I was told to contact an office 200 miles away to give me a quote since it is out of warranty. 

I mean, if you can't build a control board and a realy that would last longer than 17 months, what are you really trying to do? 

There are no parts catalog, no electrical diagram published, no nothing, just a user manual. 

Ridiculous, I feel sorry for getting this dryer. 

Edit: after checking the relay on the board, it seems that it is stuck closed as there is continuity. Of course, you encased it in a plastic container and poured some gooey silastic on top of it, so no one can change it. Your designers put in a flaw. Now I can't change a $5 relay, instead I will have to change a $180 board. 

thank you Samsung!IMG_20201211_010551.jpgIMG_20201211_010554.jpgIMG_20201211_010945.jpg

2 Replies
userhtOkTp5USh
Asteroid
Options
Washers and Dryers

An update: I was able to temporarily fix that by sharply hitting the box with a screwdriver handle. That released the contacting plate and allowed the relay to work for another month or so. 

It is possible that the problem is not even with the relay but the way it is mounted. Most relays are sensitive to how they are installed, meaning the moving contactor plate is on top. The way samsung have this designed is installed upside down. I flipped and affixed the box and, for now, it works. 

0 Likes
userhtOkTp5USh
Asteroid
Options
Washers and Dryers

Another month of operation without any problems. 

I bet the relay is not rated for upside-down installation. After rotating and reinstalling the box with the open end up, there were no problems with the relay. 

I can't believe no design engineer in Samsung didn't see that installation as problematic, since this is known issue for relays. 

0 Likes