Free_From_Fragrance
Constellation
Options
Washers and Dryers

I belong to a very large chemical sensitivity support group of several thousand members. A recent issue that has frequently been brought up is the inclusion of free samples of scented laundry detergents and dryer sheets that come with new washers and dryers. This is a major issue for consumers like us because not only can we not use scented detergents or dryer sheets, the fragrances contaminate the machines and many people with health issues that are triggered by fragrances end up returning them.

It is very difficult, if not impossible, for many of us to be around people who are wearing clothing that has been laundered with scented laundry detergents and dryer sheets without getting sick (many people with asthma, COPD, migraines, epilepsy, COVID-19, and other illnesses become ill when exposed to fragrances). It is also impossible for people such as myself to be outside in our own yards or neighborhoods when neighbors who are using scented laundry products are venting their dryers, as the pollution they create infiltrates our private yards and surrounding public spaces.

I would like to suggest that you attempt to partner with manufacturers that offer fragrance-free laundry detergents and wool dryer balls to include free samples of their products in your new washers and dryers that are sold to consumers to encourage the use fragrance-free laundry products. This would be an excellent opportunity for your company to further stand out amongst competitors, by promoting healthier alternatives to use while laundering that are safe for everyone to use and better for the environment.

I would love for more people to become informed that fragrances can negatively impact people’s health and to learn about healthier alternatives. Thank you for considering my suggestions.

With gratitude,

Amy

5 Replies
userbYQZ7madIM
Constellation
Options
Washers and Dryers

I agree with Amy! Please include only fragrance free samples!!

"Fragrance acts as a loophole on the FDA's regulation of personal care products.  Fragrance is deemed a “trade secret” under the Fair Package and Labeling act of 1966, allowing companies to refrain from listing ingredients, so their specific formula cannot be knocked off easily by copycats. The downside is that this gives brands an opportunity to add in cheap-yet- toxic chemicals to their goods in order make a scent that disperses well and so it lingers for longer, which pleases the consumer (who has no idea that they may potentially be poisoning themselves by using said product."

"In one of the most interesting studies to date, pioneering fragrance researchers Anne Steinemann, PhD, a professor of civil and environmental engineering, looked at the chemicals spewing out of dryer vents. Using new, pre-rinsed organic towels, Steinemann and her team sampled laundry emissions after using scented fabric softening and dryer sheets in clean washers and dryers.

What was coming out of those vents? (And into people’s lungs?) Seven hazardous air pollutants and 25 volatile organic compounds (VOCs). Some of these, including acetaldehyde and benzene, are not safe at any level. (These are also pollutants that commonly spew out of vehicle tailpipes.) Acetaldehyde is a common ingredient used in fake fragrance blends. It’s “potentially carcinogenic to humans” and adversely impacts the kidneys, nervous and respiratory systems.  While it’s regulated in outdoor emissions, it’s a total free-for-all when it comes to home use. And that’s coming with some serious side effects.

In a 2016 study, Steinemann found 12.5 percent of people blamed scented laundry products spewing from dryer vents for health issues. These include ailments like respiratory issues, runny noses, asthma attacks, skin issues, migraines and even gastrointestinal symptoms."

SamsungAl
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Washers and Dryers

Thank you for your interest in sharing your idea with Samsung. We appreciate your feedback and will tag it on the forum so that it will appear with other feedback, ideas, and requests. This will allow your post to be more easily found in the event that Samsung product groups are seeking outside feedback/requests/ideas regarding our products. :)

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
Shiftyeyesun
Astronaut
Options
Washers and Dryers

Please switch to scent free samples! My fragrance induced migraines are often debilitating and any reduction in triggers would be greatly appreciated! If you switch to fragrance free samples, I will be sure to promote your products to my friends and family.

Members_rOxDNiU
Constellation
Options
Washers and Dryers

YES! This so important for people with various disabilities and health conditions who have adverse medical reactions to fragrances!

user6VP0DkcbpU
Astronaut
Options
Washers and Dryers

I'm currently shopping for a dryer. Because I react severely to most fragrances (my airways close--this requires I wear a bulky respirator when out and about) I cannot consider purchasing a dryer that has ever had a fragranced product in it. Even a small amount of residue can cause an issue, similar to a peanut allergy.

This significantly limits my choices when it comes to laundry appliances. Please make it possible for me to be your customer!

0 Likes